Hot Rod Forum banner

"Basics of Basics" Taillamp reflector retrofitting

12K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Kiwichevy 
#1 ·
“Basics of Basics” Tail lamp reflector retrofit.
By Brian Martin

I drive my 1959 Rambler American to work every day. I have been thinking about how lacking the two little tail lights are on this car but when winter and standard time hit putting me in a commute home in the dark I have felt uneasy at every stop light or traffic slowing thinking about the guy flying up behind me. The first thing I did (I admit I am cheap) I bought some LED lights on eBay, big mistake, they were JUNK and not only weren’t any brighter than my stock 1157 incandescent but they broke on insulation. I then sprung for much more expensive ones after seeing an impressive example on Youtube. (photo #1)These were $40 for the pair and didn’t work one bit better than the 1157’s installed in 1959, again, very disappointing. I honestly am thinking that the youtube video was fake because I didn’t get anywhere near the result they did.

After some discussion on Hotrodders.com on the subject and someone suggesting the first thing I needed was a reflector to direct the light I set out to do just that. The original Rambler light had no real reflector with only the un-polished chrome on the inside of the housing acting as one. Late model cars use some pretty complicated reflectors and get the most out of the little light source. It is really amazing how far lighting as came. The wrecking yards are full of lights that you can get reflectors out of for your project. The cool thing is, the light can be broken and you get it for super cheap because all you need is the reflector that is still in perfect working order. I work at a bodyshop so I have lights all the time that are being thrown away, the problem is getting a pair of them. Well I lucked out and the first check I made of old lights I found a pair, Subaru I believe. (photo #2)

First thing I did was to dice up the taillamps cutting the lense off with a thin cut off wheel on a die grinder. CAUTION, the plastic melts and flies all over, I burnt my arm with a piece. So you want not try to cut thru in one pass. I went around the light a few times cutting a little more each time allowing the plastic to cool between passes. You could use some other saw or something but they all seem to melt the plastic pretty bad anyway, I found the cut off wheel to do the job and it is readily available in my tool box so it’s what I used. Photo #3

These lights are made of many components, they are pretty amazing designs frankly. There were a number of reflectors for me to choose from with the side markers and what not, I chose to use the center tail light. Photos #4 and 5

To be continued.

See less See more
#28 ·
If you're looking for a "bright" third brake light, & will accept an externally mounted unit, (on the sheet metal area between the window and trunk lid edge), these work well:

1995 2005 Chevy Astro Blazer Jimmy Suburban Yukon LED Third Brake Light | eBay

The bottom has a gentle curve from end-to-end that seems to mate very well with most vehicle body curves in that area. They are about 12" long.

#33 · (Edited)
Edit: 2357 is brighter

If I'm not mistaken a 2157 bulb has a brighter brake light but the tail light stays the same as a 1157. The only downside is the bulb life is shorter due to that fact. I may try this mod on my 67 Fairlane, I've painted the reflector white after reading lots about it, that made a great improvement but I'd love to make it better.

#36 ·
1157's have been around for ever. There is another bulb, _ _ 57 that was used on tractor trailer trucks. It has a higher wattage and brighter brake light filament. I get them from a local big truck parts store. I don't remember the # for sure. I'm thinking 1057 or 1257. I use them on my motorcycles and utility trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.