Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - "Basics of Basics" Trial fitting parts
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 10:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fitting the front clip

A new idea! I'm still building my 39 Pontiac hot rod and I'm fitting the Fisher body to a GM front sub-frame and a GM rear sub-frame, then reattaching the original pontiac rear tail so the gas tank and rear bumper mounts etc. fit as originally designed. This is the best way I have found to make a really nice riding hot rod. It also allows you to change out rear springs to get a good ride height. You can custom make the car do what you want by changing rear spring ratio's. I get the springs from AZ and then try different set-ups until I hit the right one.... "Make good friends with the counter guy" he will allow you to trade in one set and get another at no additional expense.

Thats just street rodding 101-- Here is the new idea: Over the years you learn new tricks to make the deal go a little faster. When fitting the front clip of the old Fisher body to the GM front sub-frame you always run into the problem of making a sturdy mount that comes off of the front crossmember of the GM frame and mate's to the lower radiator support structure. Thats the deal that holds the totality of the Fisher body to the frame. It cannot be built out of crap! After building many out of flat stock or plate steel, I stumbled across a low cost simple, but very strong way to make the support. Head to the scrap yard and find a trailer hitch draw bar. Usually they are nice and thick and are made from very mild steel. Which means you can heat them and then bend them to meet the need and they will not snap.
Simply bend them to the proper shape, get your length. drill a mounting hole, jig them up into place and then weld them on. Simple and strong! Also, if you miss the mark , slightly, a big hammer will allow you to adjust for a perfect fit. Always have a big hammer!!