Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Basics of Welding Equipment
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Reading back thru this thread I noticed this from Ogre:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
.....i use the weldpac100 version of that welder to do everything
the weldpac is flux core only, regardless of what people say flux core is a good welding process
oem uses mostly flux core for welding on rear ends, shock bracket, spring pad, backing plate flange and caliper mounts are all welded with flux core.
I'm not sure if Ogre was referring to my post or not, but I will say I did not mean to infer that flux core welding is not a good process. It is a good process and has a lot of uses. But FishSticks stated that
Quote:
It needs to be something that can handle both thin gauge and thick material.
For thin sheet metal, like auto body work, I believe mig works better than flux core. Flux core is great for working outside or where you have breeze where you're welding, as it doesn't take much breeze to blow your shielding gas away. Flux core also burns hotter, so it extends the range of thicknesses that the small welders can weld. The weld setting charts from the welders all give recommended settings that are for thicker material with the flux core than with hard wire and shielding gas. Since a mig welder can also do flux core but a flux core welder can't do mig, I think a mig is a more versatile machine. But yes, flux core IS a viable process and is very useful. It all depends on the application. I'm sorry if I gave the impression otherwise.

Last edited by BigEd36; 05-04-2012 at 11:30 AM.