Batteries - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Batteries

Hi Guys:
Just spent the last hour and a half reading all about using two batteries wired in parallel. I'm in the final assembly process on a 37 Ford using a Northstar and 4T80E trans-axle mounted in the rear. I fabricated everything, including the chassis, front and rear suspension, drive train, steering, all aluminum work and all wiring. Believe it or not, there is absolutely no room for a standard sized battery. However, I do have two small spaces, one on each side of the motor inside the car. Information I have gotten of this site seems to say the "Dyna-Batt"s work well, so I bought one and made 2 mounting trays. Just in case though, (cuz I'm a future kinda thinker), I Plan to install the cables for the second battery before the interior goes in, so I can add one if necessary. Hadn't thought of using an isolator though and now you"ve got me thinking. If I don't have an "Additional Load" requirement, and just want the second battery as a precautionary measure, would this be the way to go? Thanks for the help. Nstar John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 04:59 PM

I've played around with car audio for the past decade and have installed multiple battery systems many times. An isolator isn't necessary. But may be good insurance If powering different circuits. One of my SPL systems had 4 Optima yellow tops powering 4 1farad capacitors and 4 amplifiers (all "0" guage wire) Never any problems, just more power reserve during high amperage loads.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

I would, Providing you get the right isolator, one that will automatically switch, on both load and charge..

It will insure both battery's are in peak condition at all times!

If it is to be a "Weekend Warrior" you Could just use a switching solenoid (to boost crank in case of a slow start) and trickle Charge the second battery while it's stored..That will work also, but is not as reliable.

Doc
Old 01-08-2007, 11:35 PM

Batteries

Thx Doc:
The car will be shown for the first year, and then driven to rod runs and such. It won't be a daily driver, but will be driven when weather permits. Think I'll install an isolator anyway. Much simpler than having to charge seperate batteries.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.