battery draining - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 PM
1955 Ford

Wiki Edits: 0

battery draining

I have a 1955 ford pickup that I bought about a year ago. I have been having problems with the battery draining. Every time I want to start it I have to put a charger on it. Once it starts it runs fine and doesnt cut off but if I shut it off within a few hours the battery goes dead and it wont start again without being charged. It has a brand new battery and alternator in it and I still have the same problem. The guy i bought it from put an updated fuse box in it and rewired the whole truck. I cant figure out what it is that is draining power off the battery when the truck is off. If anybody has any suggestions it would be a big help. Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 AM

Last photo:

Is it modern electrical or old school? I'd start by making sure the alt 2 wire connector is sired correctly, if the wires are reversed, the sense wire is shorted to ground thru the voltage reg and will drain your batterty in a couple hours if the eng isn't running ect.... If this is the case the alt case wil get too hot to touch.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Next time it is all charged up and you are done using it , pull all the fuses and see if it keeps the charge.
If it does then next time pull all the fuses but one and so on until it does not hold the charge. Then assume the problem is in the circuit that that fuse protects and trouble shoot from there.
I once had a similar problem on a brand new car and did this procedure. Traced it to a cigerate lighter that was falling apart and was grounding and draining the battery but not blowing the fuse !
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
1955 Ford

Thank you i will deffinately check that now I have somewhere to start because i was completely stumped and didnt know what else to do.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Run the truck, get the battery charged. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Now, pull all the fuses.
Do not hook up the negative cable, yet.
Take a common test light. Connect the test light to the negative battery post, and the disconnected negative terminal. If the light lights up, possibly a drain in the charging circuit, see if the key is off. Unplug the connections on the alternator, and check with the test light again. You may have to disconnect the main positive charging wire, if the alternator diodes are bad.

If the test light does not go on, with all the fuses out, put them in one by one, until you find the drain, with the test light between the negative battery post, and the cable.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

DanielC is correct although I would make one change to the last part of his procedure if possable. I'd use a multimeter instead of a test lamp. Multimeters are available for less than $20 nowadays and a multimeter on DC Amps would show you how much current is going through as you put each fuse in. Circuits like the ones for your digital radio, clock, interior light (you've probable got the door open), will all light up a test light but will give you a low amperage reading with a multimeter. See witch circuit gives the highest amp reading and correct from there.
Don
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

The multimeter is a good tool to use, also. Just one caution. If you have a fairly high amp draw, it is pretty east to damage a multimeter on the amp setting, if there is a high amp draw.
Even with a dead short, a test light just shines it's normal brightness.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.