Battery Draining. help please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 07:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Battery Draining. help please

I took my car over to my girlfriends. When i got there i tried to start my car again, and the battery was dead. It still turns over just real slow, to slow to start the car. I had the alternator tested a few weeks ago and its fine, what else could it be? I think my battery is good. Im confused. Any suggestions would rock. Thanks

SOrry, this this is rubberman2003, im using the g/f's computer. I think i used the mouse wheel and went and posted in the wrong forum, could you move for me please.

Advertisement

Last edited by rubberwoman2003; 11-22-2003 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2003, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

opps
Old 11-22-2003, 07:32 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Check wiring and connections. If they are good, I would suggest that the battery is on its way out, not holding a charge.

Is something draining the battery while ignition is off? Lights or some accessory?

Budget RVs
Old 11-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Lights were off?
Old 11-22-2003, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

Well its did this before, i didnt leave lights or anything on. The volt gauge reads really low to. Im so confused on this...i hate wiring. How do i test if there is a draw, which terminal do i touch to which post? Thanks
Old 11-22-2003, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

Put a voltmeter across battery with car running. Should read 14 volts or better. Turn on a bunch of stuff, lights etc. Voltage should stay about the same. If it does, your battery isn't taking the charge. Check the cells to see if the water level is up.

Budget RVs
Old 11-22-2003, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

how do i checkt he cells? My car just started but the battery is still low, but i can at least get home in the morning.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Most batteries are maintenance free these days, but you can still pry the tops off the cells on most. Look into the battery and see if the water is near the top. Some batteries, you can see through the side as it is semi transparent. If it needs filling, use distilled water from the drugstore. The water in the battery is acidic, so dont spill any on yourself.

Budget RVs
Old 11-22-2003, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Battery Draw!

With every thing off, remove the Ground Cable, then watch real close, as you touch the Ground Cable to the battery Ground post. There should be no spark. You can also put a volt / amp meter between the battery G- post and the G- Cable. How ever if you have an electric Clock that is hooked up it will show a draw (spark) my guess is that the battery is sulfated or has an internal short. In any case I would check the battery out first. Hope this answered your question, as how to till if it has a draw, on the battery -------------------------------------------------------------------Gene Neal

If not the Battery, I would check the starter!
Old 11-23-2003, 06:54 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

You might need to have both the battery and the starter checked. If it doesn't crank over fast enough when warm and does after sitting long enough to cool, it may be the starter, or connection at it.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

I took the bat. out and had autozone do a load test. The battery is good, im gonna take the whole car up and have them test the alternator when its running.

Im not 100 % sure but i think i fixed it. I hooked my Engine Tester thing, up to the battery to get an initial reading. Then i started the car and i didnt change, so i thought ALTERNATOR. I looked at the back of the alternator, where the 2 wires go on the threaded post. Well it was loose and wasnt making good contact. I tightened it up and then i started the car and the volts jumped up YAY

Last edited by Rubberman2003; 11-23-2003 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:02 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Re: Battery Draw!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Neal
With every thing off, remove the Ground Cable, then watch real close, as you touch the Ground Cable to the battery Ground post. There should be no spark. You can also put a volt / amp meter between the battery G- post and the G- Cable. How ever if you have an electric Clock that is hooked up it will show a draw (spark) my guess is that the battery is sulfated or has an internal short. In any case I would check the battery out first. Hope this answered your question, as how to till if it has a draw, on the battery -------------------------------------------------------------------Gene Neal

If not the Battery, I would check the starter!

That is not necessarily true. My 96 crown vic (P71) always pulls current from the battery, I think because it has heated mirrors. Most older cars you can do that test with, but these new ones are weird.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Battery Draw

78novaman! Rubberman2003 ask a question, (How do I test if there is a draw, which terminal do I touch to which post? Thanks) In reading all the post I did not see a direct answer to the question. So I did try to answer, at lest it was a start in the right direction. Of course there are many other things that might be causing a draw on the battery. Electronic ingestion is another. In any case one would have to track each and every one down, and eliminate them, till you find may be a bar wire that is causing a small short, or a bad unite in one of the electrical circuits.
If you know of a deferent way to check this out, without having a lot of equipment, pleas, post it here, as Rubberman2003 I'm sure will make good use of it. and perhaps we all can learn a thing or two.
No affiance meant! Thanks for the reply. ----------------Gene Neal
Old 11-25-2003, 08:54 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Sorry Neal, I didn't mean for him not to follow your advice. I was merely pointing out that in my case it would be misleading to look for current draw that way, as terminals on my car spark whenever you connect them, because some accessories in it are always on.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:44 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

There is one way that I know of, it is time consuming, but what isn't in electrical. Hook up a test light between the battery cable and battery. With the keys and everything turned off, start pulling fuses. When the light goes out, you have found the circuit that was drawing the power. I always start by pulling the fuses for the things that always stay on, like the radio, if it has a clock, and the interior lights, since you will have the door open any way,

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.