Battery issue? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Battery issue?

Ok guy's the other day I was working under the hood of my 69 chevelle. I had some tools sitting up on the fender and my boy decided to come and ask me a question, but when he walked up to the car he bumped my tools and one of the wrenches fell perfectly on to the positive and negative posts on my battery. Which took me a second to get it off maybe 2 seconds of course sparks flying. My luck go figure! Anyway, I did'nt worry to much about it at the time. So a couple days later I was going to take the car for a spin, but the car was completely dead. I mean 0 juice, so I put my charger on it, but it would not charge. I figured it burnt the battery up! I took the battery back and exchange it for a new on. I installed the new battery fired the car up and rode around all day. Now the car has been sitting up for a few days. I went out there today to crank it up, but it's completely dead again. Put the charger on it, but again it won't charge and it reads 0, so I decided to pull the battery out and put the charger on it without the cables connected. Well, It started charging the battery. Anybody know why the battery is draining while sitting in the car along with it not wanting to charge with the cables hooked up? I've never had a problem until the battery incident. I just find it odd that the battery will charge as long as you pull the cables off. Burnt alternator maybe?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

If this car is stock wiring. Look for a burned out fusible link in the positive wiring by the starter or even by the battery by the radiator support. Try stretching them and they will stretch if burned out. Best to use a test light for power to alternator. Also, If it has power to alternator then blown diodes will cause a draw and no charge.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:03 AM

Last photo:

As far as not charging with the cables hooked up..... dirty terminals or a direct short to the pos feed wire....... the smaller wire connected to the pos post on the battery that leads to the junction block that should be on the battery side of the radiator support, that junction is bolted to the radiator support and has been known to melt and create a short.

There should be a wire that leads from that junction, across the radiator support towards the drivers side fender, leading to a factory splice then to the external voltage regulator and the horn relay, the fuseable link is located after the factory splice and before the horn relay, should by orange in color.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Hi 396 Chevelle

I vote for a shorted diode in the alternator. Was the engine running when you tried to weld the wrench to the battery?

I'm curious if you got it fixed and what did it turn out to be?

regards

Ron
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Right on

I think shorted cables or alternator. when you try to charge the battery with the cables on the dc current follows the path of least resistance which will be the short to ground. that's why it charges with the cables unhooked.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
I think shorted cables or alternator. when you try to charge the battery with the cables on the dc current follows the path of least resistance which will be the short to ground. that's why it charges with the cables unhooked.
If it shorted to ground it would be a pile of melted plastic from the cables let alone the smell and real obvious. It all would be fried that's what shorts do like blowing fuses. A short there is going to blow a fuse link.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

Depending how long it was shorted brfore the fuseable link blew, if it did, would determine if the "pile of melted plastic from the cables" ..... sounds like he got if off pretty quickly, but maybe not quick enough.......

I too am intrested in what actually happened and the fix

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.