Battery Relocation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004, 11:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Battery Relocation

Wanting to mount my battery on the firewall in the '51 Mercury. Since I removed the heater there is plenty of room to put the battery in the new space on the passenger side firewall where the heater was located. Looked in the catalogues (Summit, etc.) and didn't find anything interesting in the way of a "pretty" battery case/mount. I'll need something well braced.
I'm going to drive up to San Antonio next week and get a Gen II evaporator installed and this will provide defrost, heat and hopefully enough cold air to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
Any suggestions on this project?
Thanks for any help,
Charlie Smith
Ps. Four Jaw Chuck - I tried to follow your instructions on the Ford one post ("I" terminal) starter solenoid (Negative activation) and couldn't get the replacement two post one to work but I think I may have initally wired it wrong and burned it. Thank goodness the old one was still good - it was the starter that was bad.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Go to a marine/RV supplier and have a look at their products, there are some marine/RV battery cases you may find acceptable.

Sorry the solenoid solution didn't work for you.

Have you looked at this one?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I make my own. Get the battery tray from any late model GM car and clean it up. They are sturdy, don't look totally terrible and have that nifty little one-screw hold-down lug for a compact series 24 battery. Then I bend up a couple of 90* brackets of 16ga steel - the legs are obviously the length of the battery tray, and bend over the two legs about 1/2" for strength and to provide a mounting flange. You can drill a couple large holes or otherwise perforate the sides of the brackets for a better look. drill the 1/2" flanges for a couple of bolts on each leg and bolt it to the battery tray and firewall and your are done! Of course decorate the parts as you desire for good looks (I have them powder coated - lasts for ever) and use polished stainless hardware to stand up to the nasty battery environment.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

battery Box

[color=yellow]Doc Here

Make one yourself?

Do you Have access to metal working equipment?

Try Chrome Diamond plate sheet-metal,

make a cardboard template, measured slightly larger than the battery, bent on 3 sides, (to go around the battery)Transfer measurements to the metal and have it Cut & bent (or bend it yourself.)

then spot-weld or bolt to 2 "L" brackets about 2 inch x 2 inch for mounting to the firewall,

a Flat steel bottom & Top (or Diamond plate will work) with the 3 sides bent up about an inch to an inch in and a half that tightly fits up on the bottom of the 3 sides, Spot or weld to the sides.

sounds harder than it really is, but it's kinda kewl lookin' when you get done.

For the inside use a can of that bed liner stuff...add a hole with a plastic "Overboard tube" for Spillage and vent...and 1/2 moon cut outs for the cables going in, lined with 1/4 inch rubber anti~Chafe or half cut grommet's.

You need a shear and Brake, and at least a mig welder. Time, Cardboard... Diamond plate can be had at the local ace hdwre, and an affinity for self induced headaches... high tolerance to pain, and metal cuts...

Other alternatives, Boat battery Boxes and RV boxes are available too.

BTW... Brass Ball Cozys are available for that monkey at WWW . twitches Wit . com.... :

Doc
[/color]
Old 07-21-2004, 07:53 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Probably don't need to remind you about how corrosive lead acid batteries are. A continual battle when they are mounted on the firewall. Thus, I highly recommend using a gel battery such as a Optima Red or Yellow top.

Trees
Old 07-22-2004, 10:14 AM

Battery Corrosion

Exactly. The battery is now located in the trunk of my chopped top '51 mercury ala drag car and because of the corrosion factor I'm not comfortable with it there - where would I find a new fender when the fumes rotted this one out.
I agree with the Optima suggestion and one is setting in the garage for this project.
Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated
Charlie Smith

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.