Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Battery Relocation Quesions
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmwalker View Post
Hi guys,

I'm going to be relocating my battery to my trunk in my 77 camaro and I know what to do about a box and venting it. What I'm wondering is what gauge cable should I use for the cable to the starter and what guage wire should I use for my charging wire?? Also what size fuse should I use for both the starter cable and the charging wire?

Thanks!!
There is no fuse for a starter. You need a battery disconnect. As for wire size you need basicly double what ypu have by guage. I think normal battery cables are 4 guage you would need 2 guage. They make some stuff for stereo guys that works real well and is easy to route and bend around stuff. It is also bigger but not really as big as 2 guage should be so it works great.

Main power should be on a relay. You can use a fuse for the mains but depending on the system you may need a pretty big fuse. Again i would go with the stereo install type 50-100 amp fuse. At 100 amp it could still badly burn wires but a dead short will pop it instantly.

Also be sure to cover the wires with shrink wrap and a loom. And run the under the car inside the frame rail tied every 12 inches with zip ties or bolted down insulated clamp. Make sure it does not run thru any hole that is not covered by a groumet.