Hot Rod Forum banner

Battery Relocation Quesions

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  sedanbob 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm going to be relocating my battery to my trunk in my 77 camaro and I know what to do about a box and venting it. What I'm wondering is what gauge cable should I use for the cable to the starter and what guage wire should I use for my charging wire?? Also what size fuse should I use for both the starter cable and the charging wire?

Thanks!!

#6 ·
instead of fuses u can buiy circut breakers from any real car audio place thse things come in 100/150/200/250/300/400 amp , the big fuses starting at 100 amp and up run about 22 bucks each and arent easy to find if u happen to pop a fuse and need a new one

the big circut breaker should run about 50-100 bucks and ull only ever need one most of them will accept 0 gauge cable directly and some even bigger

if u buy car audio amp cables be sure to buy high quality cables

good 8 gauge car audio cable will out perform cheap car audio 4 gauge

#11 ·
To minimize voltage drop over the distance, I suggest 1/0 welding cable. Run from positive to starter, and negative to a bolt on the bellhousing. As was suggested, support it along the way, and protect it anywhere it goes through a hole or by a hard edge. Use 8 gauge from the alternator to the starter. Run grounds from the bellhousing bolt to the chassis, and chassis to body. The welding cable is fine wire so it's nice and flexible. I crimp and solder lugs on the ends, and cover the joint with heavy duty shrink tube. A battery disconnect switch is a good idea, as are auxillary battery terminals under the back of the car, near the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.