Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Battery Relocation questions
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67MercCat View Post
Hey guys, I used the search function to try and find an answer to my problem to no avail. I'm moving the battery to the trunk of a 73 Nova and I'm not the best at wiring.

My questions are...

1) The starter I have has the solenoid on top of it, do I still have to get another solenoid for a trunk mount set up?
No - it complicates your wiring
2) Do I have to use 1Ga Positive wire to go straight to the starter solenoid
1AWG works nicely (the welding wire is a good alternative)
3) Do I have to run a thicker wire for the Alternator charge wire (from the Battery)
It should be at least a #6AWG
4) Where can I buy some 1ga wire the length I need (24 ft)?
Welding shop or Summit and their Taylor kit
5) Is it okay for me to run the wire underneath the car with wire loom protecting it?
Yes
6) If I ground the battery to the engine block, can I still ground it to the frame?
Yes, as well as to the body
7) does the Alternator charge wire come from the horn relay?
I doubt it but manufacturer's have done/do some really strange things and possibly 'daisy chained' the positive leads

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm ready to get this car going with only a few small steps to make things work.
Thanks
Adding to your first question - when I first wired my car, I used a second solenoid at the battery. When I redid the isolating wiring last winter, I took it out as unnecessary.

One more - don't forget that shut off switch in the main battery to starter wire. You can still maintain computers and radio systems with a simple bypass and fuse arrangement.

Dave W