Battery Tenders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Battery Tenders

I see they have a Battery Tender Jr 12v and a Battery Tender Plus. Which would you recommend, or, which one is everybody using? The battery will stay in the car. It will need to be hooked up for a good 6 months over winter in a mostly unheated garage..........

Thanks,
Rodnit

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

You know, I never use them. I just charge up my batteries ( if they go flat ) for a day in the spring and go. Some of those tenders over charge or evaporate the
water and cause damage.

I have 2 batteries that are 10 yrs old and still going. They get left outside in the
cold snow all winter and topped off in the spring. But, if I had something that
HAD to start, at the drop of a hat, I would use a tender. Otherwise I would not
bother. More harm than good. In my experience.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

A good battery tender will "maintain" a battery, read the charge level and charge only when required. I keep three vehicles on tenders all winter long and have no issues with over-charging or "dry" cells. The tenders apply a small "trickle charge" of 2 or 3 amps to keep a battery topped off. A small, slow charge is many times better then a large, quick charge at maintaining a battery. I use tenders I got on clearance from Sears many years ago and they work very well. I think I paid about 20 bucks ea. for them and they have most of the bells and whistles the more expensive "Tenders" have.
Mark
Old 10-09-2013, 05:19 AM

Last photo:

I use tenders on a fleet of 32 GATORs and have never had an issue with dry cells/overcharging. I have had many batteries go flat and get ruined by not using the tenders during the winter.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnit View Post
I see they have a Battery Tender Jr 12v and a Battery Tender Plus. Which would you recommend, or, which one is everybody using? The battery will stay in the car. It will need to be hooked up for a good 6 months over winter in a mostly unheated garage..........

Thanks,
Rodnit
I use the Battery Tender Plus, actually have 5 of them, the oldest being over ten years old. All are in unheated buildings, I've never had a problem with any of the chargers. When storing a vehicle without a battery kill switch through the winter months I always remove the negative battery cable. For the side mount batteries I simply thread in a bolt for the trickle charger to clamp to.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 10-09-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 AM

solar tenders

HF has solar powered tenders work great for mowers kept in nonelectrial sheds
EC
Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

The reason I want to use a tender is, I can't remove the battery. The supports are welded to the frame and each other. The posts are so close to the 'glass that I don't think I could remove the cables. So, I want to extend the life of the battery as long as I can until I have to break out the cutting wheel... It's underneath the running board right behind the passenger fender..... I think they had the battery mounted before they dropped the body on.... Makes no sense.... I was just wondering the difference between the JR and the Plus.......

Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have a couple of Battery Tender Jr's - one works just fine and is hooked permanently to a spare deep cycle battery I keep for emergencies, the other seems to have gone to BT heaven. I also have a Schumacher SEM-1562A which seems to work better and was a fair bit less expensive. I keep it on my '31. Which ever one you get, they are well worth the small cost
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

I have a Schumacher too. I want to keep that free to charge other batteries throughout winter. Like a couple of boat batteries....

Thanks for all the info,
Rodnit......
Old 10-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

I have one of the Battery Tender Jrs - last winter was the first year I used it. It kept the battery up, no problems. I bought one for my son-in-law at the same time, he uses it for his '95 Mustang which sits for long periods between uses - works fine for him too. I put remote charging terminals on my sedan - makes it easy to hook up the charger.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Here's some info regarding automatic chargers vs Tenders....

Many automatic battery chargers simply turn off when the battery voltage rises to a preset level or when the charge current falls below a certain level. With the battery sitting idle, its internal losses will consume much of its stored charge. Depending upon the age and condition of the battery, it may only take a couple of months before the battery loses more than 90% of its charge. The amount of charge lost tracks pretty well with the reduction in battery terminal voltage.
Some automatic chargers will restart when they sense that the battery voltage is too low. As a battery goes through these types of cycles of repeated charging and idle self-discharge to low capacity levels, the useful battery life may be dramatically reduced.
Both the BatteryTender® Plus & Junior battery chargers do not turn off after they charge the battery. They automatically switch to a safe float voltage level that keeps the battery charged and yet does not do any harm to the battery. In fact, in most cases, this type of charge maintenance will extend the battery’s useful life by at least 50%.
Some customers have reported battery life increases of more than double what they had before using the Battery Tender® Plus or Battery Tender® Junior battery chargers.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Saw this too:

-- Plus is 1.25A (Jr is 0.75A) - difference is not important unless you find a dead battery
-- Plus has indicator lights - lets you know its working and what mode it's in
-- Plus sets voltage according to temperature - better when stored in very cold or very hot conditions
-- Plus is 10 yr warranty, Jr is 5 yr - your choice
-- Plus is $60, Jr is $40 - your choice

The Plus unit is bigger and the 'box' doesn't plug directly onto the outlet. Instead it has a 3-prong power cord and so you can plug it into the outlet without blocking the other outlet. My understanding is that the Jr unit 'box' plugs directly onto the outlet, and so I think it likely blocks the other plug-in location on your outlet. Just an inconvenience.

Edit: Just bought this one. And it's on sale, real good price. I believe my local O'reilly's want $69:

Battery Tender Plus - Deltran 021-0128 - Battery Accessories - Camping World

Last edited by Rodnit; 10-09-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

CTEK Multi US 7002

These things are a little pricey ... but would pay for themselves by avoiding a couple of battery failures.

I have one.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I have 2 "plus" and a 10 year old el cheapo battery in my truck, and it's never overcharged.. has two lights one that tells you charging/90% charged/charged/storage/idle and the other power on..
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

That Camping World site also sells the Jr model for $20.24. That's about what I paid when I bought mine. The Plus looks like a better tender, but I wanted a more compact model.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.