Battery in Trunk - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Exclamation Battery in Trunk

I am putting my battery in the trunk of my 66 Impala. And I am mouting a solenoid on my fire wall so I can have a junction between the battery and starter for easy hook up of my remote starter. I have two wires that go to my starter now. I was told I only need one wire going to the starter from the ignition switch. Is this true?? And I should jump the two wires on the starter/solenoid together to make a complete circuit.....???? I would like some oppinions on this......I do not want to wire the starter up and have a big puff of smoke come from incorrect wiring......Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2003, 03:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

For any GM starter of the older vintages you only need one battery cable and one solenoid wire to turn over the starter and make it do its job.
You plan on mounting a remote solenoid on the firewall for a remote starter, not a bad idea.
Mount the remote solenoid on your firewall where you want.
Connect the battery to the solenoid using 1 or 2 gauge sizes bigger (numerically lower).
Then connect your ignition switch to the new solenoid.
Finally connect your remote solenoid to the starter solenoid with the same gauge cable you used in the rest of the car, and run a short (properly terminated) jumper between the "bat" and "s" studs on the starter solenoid.
If you have any other wires going to the starter now they should be transferred to the remote solenoid, usually this other wire is a direct connection between the starter mounted battery cable, the alternator "bat" wire, and your fuse block.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:46 AM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Wireing
Last photo:

M&m is right on the connect for a remote solenoid but it sounds like what you want to do is alot of work for a simple hookup to operate a remote starter. Also adding 1 more solenoid causes more amp draw to the starter to keep another locked in, another connect also. Why not put a small junction block like is on a 88-92 Chev truck on the firewall. Run a wire from S on starter to one side the a + to the other. The 2 wires are isolated then when you jump between them they turn the starter. The I terminal on the starter is for an ignition that uses points so on cranking you have full 12 volts to the + side of the coil.There would be another wire on the coil + 1 from ignition which is resister wire on Chev and 1 from I on starter. If car had points and you go to HEI you have to replace the resitace wire from igntion with regular wire. But you can test this wire with volt meter, should be bat volt with key on.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:22 PM

I was able to get everything hooked up. Thanks guys......

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: trick66 ]

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: trick66 ]</p>
Old 04-09-2003, 03:00 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Trick, glad you have every thing hooked up. Just in case you overlooked doing this, make sure your ground wire goes all the way from the battery to one of the starter mounting bolts. You need everything you can get to remote the battery from the trunk of a big Chevy. Putting a selonoid in the circuit may cause you some headache down the road. You could have accomplished the same goal by running a 16 guage wire from the hot terminal on the starter to a remote switch, then from the normally cold side of the switch to the starter selonoid.

Trees

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.