Hot Rod Forum banner

batwings...

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  home brew 
#1 · (Edited)
my 34 coupe frame has a 4"dropped tube axle. with the current batwings it is a spring over design. with the correct spindle angled back by adjusting the hairpin ends , and keeping the hairpins horizontal , the pivot point is 5 inches below the frame bottom. I want to get this pivot point (bolt) just high enough so that i can bolt right to the bottom side of the frame like in the picture below. my question is is it the batwings that is causing my problem and if it is, where can i get a set,...or is it something else causing this

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Your post is very confusing. If you have a tube axle with the batwings as you pictured and it is a spring-over, that means you have the spring perches bolted to the upper hole and are using the lower 2 holes and arms for radius rod mounting. Am I correct?
If so, you have mounted the spring incorrectly. The spring on the pictured brackets mounts on the long center arm and the radius rods bolt to the upper and lower arms, thus making a spring-behind frontend assembly.
If you have done anything other than what the paragraph indicates, you'll have to show us the assembled pieces on the car. If you have done what I describe, don't show us anything, dismantle it, reassemble it correctly (find the instruction sheet to verify) and we'll pretend this never happened... I promise.

#3 · (Edited)
batwings

i never got any instructions..but the hairpin ends are only as wide as the 2 long arms on the batwing (center and lower holes as pictured)..if i mount the spring on the center hole then i would have to bend the _____ out of the hair pin to get it to be at the top hole and the bottom...(not good)
with the spring in the top hole and centered over the axle the two long arms are pointing directly at where the hairpin should be...only down from the frame about 5 inches..I am thinking that it is the design of the batwing...as the spring hole should be lower to allow the axle to be higher, then the other two holes would be higher which would in turn raise the hairpin(its horizontal now) i found a pic of the batwing on the axle...see what you think....(the other new bat shown was a spare )

Attachments

#4 ·
I have only seen those batwings used to mount the spring above the axle once. And they were mounted the way yours is. They also had the hairpins mounted below the frame as well. Usually those batwings are used to mount the spring behind the axle like pasadenahotrod says. That is why so many members are having trouble understanding what you are talking about in this post and the other one. Here are a couple of pics of what pasadenahotrod was talking about. The spare batwings may have been to replace and correct the mounting of the ones on your axle.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)

Attachments

#7 ·
batwings

i received my speedway hotrod parts catalog today and they said it well in an ad for over or behind axle spring setups..because mine is a spring over axle design it makes the frame sit higher therefore the required longer brackets for the hairpins...if i use my axle, i need to switch to a spring behind the axle type setup to get what i want..or i beleive i have to get a whole new axle setup.. thanks to all that contributed..i really appreciate the help....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.