So, I went online did, some price shopping and here's what I found:
- 454 long block (with/without the 049 or 781 heads): $500, +/- $250 on local Craigslist.
- 454 long block with matching TH400 transmission (with/without the 049 or 781 heads): $800 to $1500 on local Craigslist.
- 049 heads: $400 to $750 depending on condition, on local Craigslist.
- TH400 (from a reputable builder/company): $1250, +/- $150, plus shipping. IO figure this wouldn't be an ideal part to buy used. Perhaps building it myself would be better?
- 9" rear (various measurements, with drums): $350, +/- $100 on local Craigslist. Still need to measure the one on the Camaro.
This puts the damage at about $2500, before any machine work and other needed parts.
I imagine the heads may need to be inspected at the very least. Possibly rebuilt with new components. New gaskets. Camshaft. Carburetor. Intake manifold. Complete tune up. Maybe a fuel pump. The rear end would have to modified. Plus new gears and axles.
Am I missing anything?
Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 05-10-2011 at 12:45 PM.