BB overheating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2002, 07:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post BB overheating

I have a .010 overbore on a 454 Chevy with an RV cam and Holley 2-bbl Pro-jection set up. The engine is installed in a 67 Chevy C-10 carrying a Open Road chassis mount Class-C motor home body.

This unit is heavy (apaprox. 14,000 GVW when fully loaded and operated primarily in Arizona with engine A/C on.

Question: Does it seem reasonable for this set up to require:

1. Ron Davis custom NASCAR radiator (1" tubes),
2. Flex-fan on engine
3. Four electric pusher fans in front of radiator and a/c condenser,
4. Two combined transmission oil/engine oil coolers and 1 engine oil only cooler stacked behind one another and connected in series with a blower fan in front of them,
5. Air vents cut into engine hood,
6. Ram air intake ducting above hood air into throttle body,
to run at 220F when the ambient air is 105F?

I'm wondering why this set up runs so hot? I have had to add all these apurtenances to get this thing from 250 down to 220 on a hot day and the engine is not burning lean. The only thing I haven't tried is "wetter water" in the coolant system.

Any ideas why this set up runs so hot? I'm thinking about switching to a crate 502, but after all this heart-burn would like to salvage this set up before spending more $$.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond...jsc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2002, 07:31 AM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

jsc,

this seems very strange that your motor is overheating. it looks like you've done everything possible to eliminate a heating problem. I don't want to sound smart, but could it be that your temp guage is faulty? A 454 is a big motor, but if it only has a 2bbl on it, it's not like you're ready for the NHRA or anything. Is there anyway to check for a blockage somewhere in the system? Also, if your vehicle is overheating has your thermostat ever locked open? If it has then you know it is hot. This is a very peculiar situation. I know this isn't the same but, i saw a car with a 440 engine that used the factory rad from a '47 dodge and he didn't have any problems with overheating. Don't know if i'm much help. Hopefully you can get this figured out.

Good luck,

JB
Old 01-05-2002, 12:52 PM

I would make sure your not running lean,I don't know how you've checked but its possible you are fine at low speeds or light load conditions. It could also be slow on timing which would also make it run hot.
Old 01-05-2002, 03:51 PM

Do you have a shroud? It does make difference and, I've always known a clutch fan and shroud set-up to do a much better job than a flex-fan with or without(a shroud). In this case I don't know if this will help or not because after all toteing all that weight can really be hard on a motor.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:43 AM

Last photo:

are you over heating sitting still or at hiway speed? At hiway speed your fan dosen't help, the air moves in faster than the fan can move it in.

Where is your sending unit located at? Depending where it's located your get different readings.

If your running under size pullies will make it run hotter.

To me it sound like you have to many things mounted to the radiator and blocking the air flow.

If your a/c condenser is mounted up against you radiator that will cut down on your air flow, Your fins block the air from the fins on the radiator, should be around a 1" or more from the radiator, that way the air can flow thru both. (put some foam between the outside edge of the condenser and the radiator, to fill in the gap. that way the air will be forced thru the radiator and not getting out between them).

If you want to check out more about overheating go to <a href="http://www.streetrodstuff.com" target="_blank">www.streetrodstuff.com</a> there's a article about overheating.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:02 PM

Talking

Hey opionated, I'm in Mesa, I know what you're going thru. With that big of a rig, 220 ain't bad, I have a crew cab dually, all I do is tow my flatbottom and it get's that hot in the summertime with the A/C on. As long as it don't detonate when you get on it, it should be ok, don't run more than 36 lead on it in the summer, if it detonates, you might want to fatten it up a bit. Here's a tip I learned that helps a lot: By the time air goes thru the coolers and everything, that air is already 20 degrees hotter, mount the coolers on the side that the water enters the radiator, that way you won't heat up the air before it hits the radiator and run a 180 thermostat. Do you have one of those small auxialary fans? Mine has one from the factory, they work great, you might want to put one of them on...If the most you run is 220, don't worry about it, just make sure the system is in good shape..........Hope this helps.........Good luck....
Old 01-18-2002, 08:18 PM

Where are you sensing engine temperature from....if you have pulled your idiot light sensor out of the head and installed an aftermarket gauge in that location you are sensing temperature in the wrong spot. In that case you should be plugged into the intake manifold near the thermostat...not in the head. I made this mistake and corrected it and the indicated temperature is fine now....Scott
Old 01-20-2002, 03:35 PM

...everything has been mentioned that can be I think..... you didn't say how big the rad was.... is it stock 454? Bigger is always better there...and like the guy from Mesa said... 220 ain't bad!!!! you ain't gonna hurt nothin' there.

You're workin' the tar out of that motor with a two barrell... got a four in the garage? I'd bolt it on... hope we all helped some...
CrazyCraig

CC sez: "Car trailers should be outlawed"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.