Hot Rod Forum banner

bbc in a 1971 Ford Galaxie

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Max Keith 
#1 ·
I have a 1971 Ford Galaxie it currently has a 400 modified, C6, and a 9 inch. The motor is locked up and after a month with the cylinders filled with trans fluid it still will not turnover. So I began to come up with some other ideas. The car is to be used as a figure eight and demo car. I have a 454 that is out of a mid 70's Suburban, and could have a rebuilt 400 for 300.00 seems like a good combination for what I'm trying to do. I just have one small problem will it fit. Is it possible or cost effective to make this work the car has 65k original miles and with the 9 inch would be great. Help me please I plan on starting to dismantle and refit the car soon. Thanks in advance.
Kip

#2 ·
Why not pull the motor and have it rebuilt for $300, then when it is done, put the motor back in.
You are going to have to go through the trouble of switching more than just the motor. You will need to swap motor, transmission, exhaust, wiring, along with having a driveshaft made to accept both ford/gm ujoints, and correct length. And probably a radiator also, most typically GM radiators are setup the opposite of Fords.
$300 sounds awful cheap for rebuilding a locked up motor...good luck either way.
Later,
WEIMER

#4 ·
Maybe I have not been clear enough the rebuild price is for the transmission. The motor that I am going to put in the car is a 454. The wiring is not an issue as I always rewire the entire car because I run a starter switch on a joy stick next to my seat and have the battery in the car. The main thing I am worried about is how everything physically fits in the frame.

#7 · (Edited)
engine swap

A 429/460 will bolt into your existing mounts and bellhousing with no mods.
That is what I would recommend rather than spending a ton putting an engine in it that has only compareable performance capabilities.
A note of interest is that the guy that designed the BBC also was later the same guy that designed the Lima Ford. Well I guess you have to make a rough draft before you can make the superior finished model.

#8 ·
I can't believe what happened. I asked a question and received input. The input helped me to make a decision on my project. The decision I came to was to put a 460 in this car. The amount of time I will save alone will be worth it. I have an early 70's Mark with a 460 in it that will be a great donor. Anymore input on my spring project will be greatly appreciated. Does anyone else demo? Your advice could help also on that topic. Thanks in advance. Kip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.