Hot Rod Forum banner

Bbc 402 Installing In A 1980 Camaro

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
I would like to put a bbc 402 that came out of a 72 chevelle into my 1980 z28 camaro that had a sbc 305. Will the motor mounts have to be relocated?

#2 ·
No, the location is the same, but the mounts are different. You`ll need the correct big block mounts. In most cases the big block mounts are offset and lower to give the correct clearences. It would also be a good idea to change the front coil springs to compensate for the heavier big block. Even with big block mounts there still maybe clearence issues.

#3 ·
FWIW, I had no problems with a factory AC-delete, 229 V6-equipped '81 Camaro when I put a 454 into it w/the OEM V6 springs. Used SBC mounts, IIRC, made the engine sit up some compared to the SBC's that were in it at different times (or else vice versa- it's been 20-something years ago), but didn't matter, as I had a T/A scoop that provided extra clearance.

After centering and leveling, I simply welded in the mounts, installed a turnbuckle on the drivers side and let it eat.

Now, if this were to have been a permanent installation as opposed to setting it up to run it for a while before selling it, I'd have done things a bit "neater" :mwink: .

#4 ·
So If I Purchase Motor Mounts For A Bbc I Should Be Ok? One More Question On The Coil Springs. I Will Be Purchasing Headers Aluminum Manifold And Heads Also Deleting The A/c So Do I Still Need To Chang The Coils? The Car Was Already Setting High In The Front When It Had The Sb

#6 ·
The only way to know for sure if springs are needed in the first place, is to install the engine.

If it sits too low or bottoms out over bumps, etc, add spring rate. In my experience, "correct for the application" OEM springs always sit too high for my taste anyway. I'd look into an aftermarket spring, if new springs are decided on.

If OEM springs are used, you could use Pontiac Firebird Formula/TA springs intended for WS6 cars, or Camaro Z-28 w/F41, w/a bit cut off the bottom- but this tends to be hit-or-miss, and the spring rate goes up when the springs are cut. But it is an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.