Hot Rod Forum banner

BBC 454 - Cam Selection - Solid vs Hydraulic - Help me Choose

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  boss68 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

I got the top half of my motor torn apart for something else and it has come to my attention again of whether this is a good time to consider switching from my hydraulic FT cam setup to a solid cam setup. Please help me choose. Here's what I've got.

It's a saturday night muscle car situation, not a drag racing car. I want the car to run 11's should I need to "flex some muscle" and I always do. It's a 468 BBC. It has iron oval port heads (ported/polished) 10:1 compression, dual plane intake, MSD ignition, headers, 3.90 gear, 3000 stall converter, Demon 850, 3-speed auto trans.

I am currently running a Comp Cams extreme magnum hydraulic cam setup (2500-6500 rpm range). works fine I guess. Not great at high rpm (above 5000) with my setup - but that might not be due to the cam.

I've had lots of guys over the past couple years tell me to try a solid cam setup, that those are better for Big Block motors with heavy valve trains, and better for high rpm. I've also had guys tell me that running a hydraulic cam setup on a BBC is fine for street/strip applications under 6000 rpm.

I know I can use either one. What do you suggest? The motor is still in the car and it is a big job to pull the cam - lots of work for me but I am willing to do it if you guys think it's worthwhile.

Signed: Big Block Blues - Lee

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Lee, There are lots of choices and opinions out there.
For what you want from the car, a roller cam (and components) recommended for your compression ratio and modern single plane will make quite a bit more power with a wide torque curve. Add a bit more gear and or converter and this combination is the foundation i would build on.
I would contact manufacturers and be sure the cam, regardless of type, matches the static compression ratio and then choose the appropriate intake if you have the cash. You didn't state the type of dual plane you have but it likely will be a limiting factor unless it has been reworked by a knowledgeable professional and you have or will be tuning it with spacers.
These are just a few basics and opinions will certainly vary.
Contact some manufacturers and see what they have to say. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.