BBC 454 - Cam Selection - Solid vs Hydraulic - Help me Choose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BBC 454 - Cam Selection - Solid vs Hydraulic - Help me Choose

Hi Guys

I got the top half of my motor torn apart for something else and it has come to my attention again of whether this is a good time to consider switching from my hydraulic FT cam setup to a solid cam setup. Please help me choose. Here's what I've got.

It's a saturday night muscle car situation, not a drag racing car. I want the car to run 11's should I need to "flex some muscle" and I always do. It's a 468 BBC. It has iron oval port heads (ported/polished) 10:1 compression, dual plane intake, MSD ignition, headers, 3.90 gear, 3000 stall converter, Demon 850, 3-speed auto trans.

I am currently running a Comp Cams extreme magnum hydraulic cam setup (2500-6500 rpm range). works fine I guess. Not great at high rpm (above 5000) with my setup - but that might not be due to the cam.

I've had lots of guys over the past couple years tell me to try a solid cam setup, that those are better for Big Block motors with heavy valve trains, and better for high rpm. I've also had guys tell me that running a hydraulic cam setup on a BBC is fine for street/strip applications under 6000 rpm.

I know I can use either one. What do you suggest? The motor is still in the car and it is a big job to pull the cam - lots of work for me but I am willing to do it if you guys think it's worthwhile.

Signed: Big Block Blues - Lee

Advertisement

Last edited by leejoy; 11-11-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Lee, There are lots of choices and opinions out there.
For what you want from the car, a roller cam (and components) recommended for your compression ratio and modern single plane will make quite a bit more power with a wide torque curve. Add a bit more gear and or converter and this combination is the foundation i would build on.
I would contact manufacturers and be sure the cam, regardless of type, matches the static compression ratio and then choose the appropriate intake if you have the cash. You didn't state the type of dual plane you have but it likely will be a limiting factor unless it has been reworked by a knowledgeable professional and you have or will be tuning it with spacers.
These are just a few basics and opinions will certainly vary.
Contact some manufacturers and see what they have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.