BBC 454 combo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 01:51 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BBC 454 combo

Hello everyone. I am beginning to look at building a 454 to replace my 327. I cam across a 454 w/TH400 for a great price (free). It was a running engine when removed two years ago. I am a decent SBC builder, but this will be my first BBC. I am looking for some ideas for building this engine. Have not really decided to build low torque or mid-upper RPM. I really would like to run a tunnel ram w/duals. Block cast #361959, heads 336781. Upgrading the heads is not possible at this time, not enough $$$. It is an retangle port, 2 bolt main. My neighbor will be giving me a Lunati 292 (don't know more than that at this time as I have not seen it yet). Will be going in a 74 Chevy truck, 3.73 rear end. Looking to upgrade pistons, intake, carb and cam. I have a new B&M 2800 stall left over form another project. Thanks guys for any advice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Well the first thing is if I read your post right you have 781 heads, but they are not rectangular, but oval ports but should flow pretty well into the RPM range.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:21 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

The 781 heads are good, but BBC is right, they are oval. That is actually a good thing in your case, The rectangular port heads are not beneficial unless you are going to be running high RPM or large cubic inches. I found a little info on the 292. It seems like a fairly well matched cam for your setup. The only down side is that it is a single pattern which is not the best for stock heads. As far as the intake goes, I think a dual plane RPM would match your combonation much better than a tunnel ram. I know people like the look, but as far as a matched combonation, the dual plane is probably best.

Lunati cam
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

Adam
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Thanks for the input. You guys are right, oval port. I was looking at the exhaust. Thank you. I think that is the cam (638-00024LK). I am going over to look at it tonight. I seem to having trouble finding a set of pistons that I want. I would like to be around 10-1, or so. Or is that even an issue with the BBC? I have KB hypers in my current build, but I always said that if I could do it over I would change. I have not had any trouble with them, but it is that whole top ring thing.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.