bbc 454 maximum power engine build up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2003, 03:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wink BBC power secrets

I own a 1971 camaro, with a 350, however, it is old and worn out. My buddy has 3 chevy 454 blocks, one has to be a good rebuild candidate. My question is this, how do i get the absolute most amount of horse power from this build up without supercharging? Should i use a stroked crank? If so, what size rods will work? Compression ratio? piston brand? heads? roller? camspecs? I'm looking to go all out on this motor, shooting for 600-700 hp. Car will be a streetable drag car. Any race proven knowledge is greatly appreciatted. Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by rynophilia; 07-07-2003 at 04:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 01:29 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

depending on the cubic inch youd proboly need 13:1 to acheive 750hp, on the other hand, you could proboly attain 600 hp easy with 10:1 with the right parts...I would at least stroke it to 496 CID, the biggest I would go with a stock block would be 505CID 4.250 stroke 4.350 bore..a good set of heads are a must, imo Dart, AFR, Canfield etc...make good heads to make your goals easy and most likely youll have to go with a solid roller cam matched to your combo...600 hp isnt that hard to come by, 750 is a little more tricky...Id just add a little N2o to make up the differance...just my .02
Old 07-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Stroking would be the way to go, as they say, "there's no replacement for displacement". I don't know the specs on a 496 stroker, but there's a guy on this board that's building a 496 twin turbo. Do a search on it and see if he can help. Also, I don't know how "streetable" a 600-700 HP motor is going to be. I hope you are willing to do a little of sacrificing since they usually operate in the higher rpms. Make sure you don't skimp on the cooling system also. I'd go with an 11:1 comp piston that's forged and from any reputable company. And like 2wld said, it's going to all be in the heads... Good luck!!
Old 07-07-2003, 05:35 PM

This is the list of parts you might use to make:
600 Ft lbs. of torque @ 4500 and 670 HP @ 6000

Bore 4.130 Stoke 4.00 Rods 6.135 = 467 CID

Dart Iron Eagle Heads 345 CFM 119cc Chamber

Lunati Factory Performance cam I Duration 264 I Lift 560
E Duration 270 E Lift 580

Roller Rocker Arms 1.7 Ratio

Lunati 11.1 32cc dome volume Pistons

MSD Distributer Holley 750 Carb Edelbrock Performer Air Gap Manifold
More Cubic inches, more compression or larger cam might make even more. Hope this helps

Joe
Old 07-07-2003, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

You can make 650 hp with most 454 blocks even 2 bolt mains,so dont worry about the block.I would seek out a factory steel crank,and have it machined to spec,and the oil holes chamfered.Bore the block .060" over,deck to zero clearance,and fit it with forged pistons of about 40cc domes.You can make this power with stock rods,but I would prefer a set of mid priced H beams,and add .250" to the rod length just to get the piston weight down.Run a solid flat tappet cam with about 255 intake and 265 exhaust at .050",and .620 lift with a 108 lobe seperation angle and a 102 intake centerline.You can make this power with ported oval port heads or out of the box iron rectangular heads such as the GM 188 casting,but in all honesty,you will save weight and have better heads for a screaming deal by investing in a set of edelbrock RPM rectangular port heads.Take them out of the box and have the valve job checked,and maybe give them a bowl blend{I do this to any head no matter how good it is}.Have the springs checked,and bolt them on with felpro type gaskets.You dont need a trick valvetrain for this budget,but you should look into roller rockets{1.7:1 hartland sharps will do just fine} and hardened pushrods and guidplates.Top it off with a gasket matched 454R edelbrock intake and 850cfm double pumper.Run 2" primary tube headers and 3.5" mufflers.I run this type of setup with a locked out MSD billet distributor and 6al box,but an advance curve thaty allows maybe 12 degrees of mechanical advance might make it a bit more drivable.This isnt really a pump gas motor,it will cruise on pump gas,but if you want to race it,it should be at least 50% race gas.This setup in a 3500# car would run low 10's with a 4000 stall convertor and the equivilent of 4.56:1 gears and 30" tall tires.Good luck.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:09 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Streeter
You can make 650 hp with most 454 blocks even 2 bolt mains,so dont worry about the block.I would seek out a factory steel ...
see, now all I heard was bla bla bla bla, see that button on the right that gots "Enter" written on it, and a arrow on it, try hitting it occaisionally
Old 07-08-2003, 03:07 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

I know alot of guys that build 600hp motors and end up with 450hp...what ever you do match everything up, if you have a set of heads that flow 500cfm and use a dual plane, your not going to make alot of Hp..... its important to know the flow numbers of the heads, and intake to properly match a cam to not only the cfm of both the intake and the heads but also to the compression ratio and rpm range...Im not going to get into piston speed and its importance to the heads and cam used ,just be sure to match up your parts and no matter if it makes 600 or 1000 hp you will be happy with the results...see now Ive spend .04 :laugh:

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.