BBC 454 Upgrades... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

BBC 454 Upgrades...

Hi,
New to the board and had some questions. I am currently restoring/rebuilding a 65 gmc. I found a 454 for it out of an RV. Eventually we would like to go to a 496 stroker but the money used for that would probably finish the truck lol.

In the meantime, what can we do to pep it up, block is casting number 14015445. I do not know the head casting number off the top of my head but I have looked it up before and they are peanut port heads. I do have a set of 781 heads here as well, they just arent on the motor. I picked them up for a decent deal after a lil research.

The motor is attached to a 700r4 fresh rebuild and the rearend is a 12 bolt with 3.73 gears.

I am decent with mechanical things however I am not good with trying to figure out cam duration, compression ratio and such so any help is greatly appreciated. If I need to machine the heads please put things in terms I can tell a machine shop to do and semi understand myself

I was thinking I would need to change the cam, machine the heads and probably need like a performer dual plane intake with a 750cfm carb. This truck will just be a weekend driver and would be driven to shows etc. My wife likes the low lobe sound at idle.. I like the go go go when you hit the gas so any thing that could get close to both would be awesome. Would like to run pump gas.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

use the 781 heads. A stock rebuild is all you really need. You will need stronger springs if you go past 0.475" lift and 212 degrees at 0.050". Bigger valves and port work will help performance but that will add cost quickly.

use some long tube headers and a regular RPM intake (not air gap). dual 2-1/2 exhaust with a cross over pipe and a pair of dynomax mufflers should make a nice sounding exhaust.

9:1 cr with a 268H compcam (218/218 at 0.050") should give you a little lope and a good driver with a stock torque converter.

If you plan to run more stall converter then you could run a little more compression and cam duration. 9.5 cr, 280H compcam (230/230 at 0.050") or a 270H (224/224 at 0.050"), and a 3000 stall will make a nice match with the 3.73 gears.

Set the mains and rods at 0.0015 to 0.002" and the rear main at 0.0025 to 0.0030".

Plan on using an oil additive if you run stronger than stock springs (www.zdpplus.com).

Plan on 8 mpg around town and 12 mpg on the highway.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM

I dont mind putting some money into the heads as if it runs well, then replacing it becomes a long term project

I have not picked up a converter yet as I wasnt sure what we were doing with the motor, so all possibilites are open until the motor is complete.

How are you suggesting I bumb up the compression rating?
Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

it is very easy to bump up the compression with a new set of pistons. 781's and peanut port'ss both have large chambers (120cc's) which will make 7.75:1 cr with a set of flat top pistons (stock lowpro 454 pistons).

Throw in a small dome piston to make at least 8.75:1 cr. This compression will run on 87 octane with a mild rv cam.

The more cam duration you use, the more compress you should put into the engine. MPG is very poor on BBC's so I would at least build for 87 octane, so don't go too crazy on the compression ratio.

Hyper pistons are cheap so not a big deal to add some compression.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 PM

I agree with 454C10's post. A mild cam, comp 268 will sound good, retain torque and perform very good. Allways replace the valve springs on a BBC. They are junk from the factory. A small domed hypereutectic (210 cc) piston will boost compression and still be able to use pump gas. Biggest problem is the transmission. 700R4 behind a healthy 454 won't last long. They can be built, but at a price that would be double what a T400 would cost and for what, a extra gear. Not worth it. Just my opinion.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.