Hot Rod Forum banner

BBC Alcohol questions

13K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  1Gary 
#1 ·
Looking to build a blown alcohol BBC for a monster truck. I know the guys at monster jam are running 1400hp-1600hp reliably and I've heard of 1 or 2 with over 1800hp. I'm wondering if it is possible to hit 2000hp and not sacrifice TOO much reliability? What do you guys think? limit is 575 cubes

#3 ·
Not with those cubes guys running more are pushing there motors harder than the rest. But hey thats racing.

World of product has a an after market block and heads that is a good place to start. 575 cubes will make the 1800 2000 mark but not at a low rpm or boost levels alky is good. It will run cool and not be crazy about knocking so boost can be raised up.

Everything will need to be spot on to even come close. The first thousand is almost easy to get with the right parts but the next 500 is hard to get and the full 2000 plus will be stright cubic dollars. 10.5 outlaw cars run 1500 2000 hp but there engines are bleeding edge usally. Also it is sometimes cheaper to run big turbos since the cost of a super charger capible of pushing 2000 hp is big bucks. But the truck guys usally like staight blown engines. For quick throttle snap.

You can get 1500 hp out of a mild warmed over ls motor and big turbos but it will not last long in a big truck. Truck will have as much drive line pressure as full slicked race car. If not twice as much. So weak engine that is holding together with hope will not cut it they will explode in the first five minutes you own it.

You willl need to find a top notch engine builder that is into the sport and is able to take on another customer. Because you two will be married after the build is complete. You will also want to build a 15k to 20k motor if your not tight arsed you will be building a 30k 40k engine. With the same power. And if you dont get a great engine builder that is already in the sport you will be paying that cash twice.

Do you already have a 1500 hp engine? That will be way more than you can use on your first year of the truck being built. It will take that long to get the issues resolved under the truck. Motor will be the least of your problems. They dont make and axel or drive shaft that can survive in a monster truck. They only make ones that dont explode the first time you floor it. Second time your on your own.
Hey thanks for the outstanding advice. No I do not have a truck as of yet, in progress though. It's more just a "wouldn't it be cool to have" kinda thing. 1600 would be plenty and would last a long time. I do not have a 1600 hp Motor right now though, only 1200 :( (468ci 8-71 forged and AFRs on gas and some spray). I thought the axles ad drivetrain could take the power? It's just the hard landings they can't handle?

#12 ·
Plenty of deals out there . . . .

We just found and bought an ex-drag boat blown gas KB Hemi. Four passes since new, solid KB block, Mullins ex-Pro Stock heads, 8-71, Enderle FI unit, Magneto, the whole works. Just been sitting in a guys garage for several years.

Made 1642 HP when it was on the dyno. We gonna run methanol in it.

Came with low compression, but blower pulleys will fix that.

You not have to wind a Blown Alcohol motor a bunch, set it up for torque.

If you want to twist it, plan on keeping blowers and valve springs on it.

The rods will live to 10,300 RPM, they exit the block at about 10,400!!!

You can make these VERY reliable if you pay attention and plan it out.

Oh yeah, you can find these for less than 15K!!

Take care, K

#13 ·
We know this guy from Canada :

Travels in this:

He has 100k in that hemi. Now I know apart of that is because him being from Canada,but not much of it.Dale Wilch from Kansas used to sell hard core hemi parts and some was from back in the day when he ran a top fuel car.We know the hemi stuff is more money.

#14 ·
My brother went to school with Bill Weaver Jr; him and his father had a monster truck in the late 80s called Rambo. Bill Sr was on the original board of directors for the MTRA. Back in 1989 his truck alone was over 100 grand as it sat. That doesn't include the support trailer, tow rig, mechanics, licensing, spare parts etc.

By the time I was around, his truck was appearing regionally when the events came this way; but it was mostly used as a promotional tool. They built another truck 'Rambo Jr' which was a street legal lifted truck; his wife used to drive it to the store LOL.

I spoke to Billy about 10yrs ago and they were trying to get funding to update the truck, but I don't think it ever happened. People really want that 'freestyle' stuff with backflips and blowing through campers...they can't afford to do that.

Monster truck photo album

#17 ·
I don't know if this applies to monster trucks,but in Pro Stock there are lease deals on the engines where they are maned by the company the engine is leased from and tuned track side by the same.They install the engine track side and take it back out at the end of the race.By doing so they are protecting the tech they have in the engines.

#22 ·
The rumors is Billy has been screwing people.Doing bad work that Mike Janis has been taking in to straighten out.

Mike Janis Racing Inc

It's too bad that Billy which is a good car chief machinist is ruining Jim's rep which took yrs to establish.Guess Billy isn't a good business man.

The link is useful to the O/P's question to build a blower motor.

I brought up the lease idea because I am not sure of the O/P's abilities to tune a engine at that level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.