BBC Alcohol questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

BBC Alcohol questions

Looking to build a blown alcohol BBC for a monster truck. I know the guys at monster jam are running 1400hp-1600hp reliably and I've heard of 1 or 2 with over 1800hp. I'm wondering if it is possible to hit 2000hp and not sacrifice TOO much reliability? What do you guys think? limit is 575 cubes

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskyline34 View Post
Looking to build a blown alcohol BBC for a monster truck. I know the guys at monster jam are running 1400hp-1600hp reliably and I've heard of 1 or 2 with over 1800hp. I'm wondering if it is possible to hit 2000hp and not sacrifice TOO much reliability? What do you guys think? limit is 575 cubes
Not with those cubes guys running more are pushing there motors harder than the rest. But hey thats racing.

World of product has a an after market block and heads that is a good place to start. 575 cubes will make the 1800 2000 mark but not at a low rpm or boost levels alky is good. It will run cool and not be crazy about knocking so boost can be raised up.

Everything will need to be spot on to even come close. The first thousand is almost easy to get with the right parts but the next 500 is hard to get and the full 2000 plus will be stright cubic dollars. 10.5 outlaw cars run 1500 2000 hp but there engines are bleeding edge usally. Also it is sometimes cheaper to run big turbos since the cost of a super charger capible of pushing 2000 hp is big bucks. But the truck guys usally like staight blown engines. For quick throttle snap.

You can get 1500 hp out of a mild warmed over ls motor and big turbos but it will not last long in a big truck. Truck will have as much drive line pressure as full slicked race car. If not twice as much. So weak engine that is holding together with hope will not cut it they will explode in the first five minutes you own it.

You willl need to find a top notch engine builder that is into the sport and is able to take on another customer. Because you two will be married after the build is complete. You will also want to build a 15k to 20k motor if your not tight arsed you will be building a 30k 40k engine. With the same power. And if you dont get a great engine builder that is already in the sport you will be paying that cash twice.

Do you already have a 1500 hp engine? That will be way more than you can use on your first year of the truck being built. It will take that long to get the issues resolved under the truck. Motor will be the least of your problems. They dont make and axel or drive shaft that can survive in a monster truck. They only make ones that dont explode the first time you floor it. Second time your on your own.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskyline34 View Post
You are talking about an aftermaket block aren't you?

Bogie
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Not with those cubes guys running more are pushing there motors harder than the rest. But hey thats racing.

World of product has a an after market block and heads that is a good place to start. 575 cubes will make the 1800 2000 mark but not at a low rpm or boost levels alky is good. It will run cool and not be crazy about knocking so boost can be raised up.

Everything will need to be spot on to even come close. The first thousand is almost easy to get with the right parts but the next 500 is hard to get and the full 2000 plus will be stright cubic dollars. 10.5 outlaw cars run 1500 2000 hp but there engines are bleeding edge usally. Also it is sometimes cheaper to run big turbos since the cost of a super charger capible of pushing 2000 hp is big bucks. But the truck guys usally like staight blown engines. For quick throttle snap.

You can get 1500 hp out of a mild warmed over ls motor and big turbos but it will not last long in a big truck. Truck will have as much drive line pressure as full slicked race car. If not twice as much. So weak engine that is holding together with hope will not cut it they will explode in the first five minutes you own it.

You willl need to find a top notch engine builder that is into the sport and is able to take on another customer. Because you two will be married after the build is complete. You will also want to build a 15k to 20k motor if your not tight arsed you will be building a 30k 40k engine. With the same power. And if you dont get a great engine builder that is already in the sport you will be paying that cash twice.

Do you already have a 1500 hp engine? That will be way more than you can use on your first year of the truck being built. It will take that long to get the issues resolved under the truck. Motor will be the least of your problems. They dont make and axel or drive shaft that can survive in a monster truck. They only make ones that dont explode the first time you floor it. Second time your on your own.
Hey thanks for the outstanding advice. No I do not have a truck as of yet, in progress though. It's more just a "wouldn't it be cool to have" kinda thing. 1600 would be plenty and would last a long time. I do not have a 1600 hp Motor right now though, only 1200 (468ci 8-71 forged and AFRs on gas and some spray). I thought the axles ad drivetrain could take the power? It's just the hard landings they can't handle?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
You are talking about an aftermaket block aren't you?

Bogie
Yes, just with full water jackets
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Thats a good question,whos the fuel expert here?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Our 632 N/A Alky nitrous calling in some favors cost 50K.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 PM

blown 575 would cost all of that,,,
I would guess using 4.63 bore and a short 4 1/4 stroke?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

Vinnie-yrs ago we did look at monster truck racing.With the spare parts in the trailer(heads,short blocks,driveline,etc)we figured back then about on a tight budget $500,000.00.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 PM

1/2 a mill would take up most of my paycheck,lol. Racing still thesame price according to the late great shelby
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

As I think about this more,I can't even begin to imagine today's money what a set of tires and rims cost.I would think it would take yrs to get on the tour.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
As I think about this more,I can't even begin to imagine today's money what a set of tires and rims cost.I would think it would take yrs to get on the tour.
no you need sponsors and I herd they are actually looking for new trucks to join in. But that was a few years back.

50K for an engine seems high but todays money is not going very far these days. this is why it in important to find an engine builder already in the game and can get things together cheaply. If you pay retail for everything then 50K is easy number to reach.

1200 hp is good enough. If you can stand the truck on its wheels you are good to go. its a lot of work just to get them back on the track next week after an event. Spend most of your time on that.

Yep world of product merlin block is what grave digger and most of the guys run. 1500 hp is all most of then run. more probably wont make it faster. just more likely to break.

Axels and drive shafts blow out for many reasons. basicly they are as strong as they can make them and they are not good enough. Once they get out of alignment and you whack the gas they will snap the drive shaft right off. So this is why you see them snap on the landings. But yes jumping a truck is hard on everything. even simple things need to be bolted down with strong bolts and washers just to keep a 1 pound item in place during a jump. These are not like trophy trucks they do not land smooth.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

We been in the game so long we don't pay retail for anything.As I said we called in some favors.It is a national known builder.Ran best in the 1/8 4.56 at 150 mph. Sponsorship money for a good deal on a national sponsorship isn't that easy to get.For all the yrs we been in,we have only gone three yrs without someone's paint on the side of the car.Someone with a limited track record would have a hard time getting support.There is a saying:"The road is a hard life and it's a hard life on the road". Those tours are not for everyone either.Living in a transporter isn't as glorious as it looks from the outside. Big Foot is a huge corporation with multiple rigs and trucks. Same for Grave Digger. Multi million dollar operations. I'm not saying he couldn't get in,but it would take time and a boat load of money for the first one atleast.Oh yeah it could take yrs of P-B-G sandwiches too.LOL.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
We been in the game so long we don't pay retail for anything.As I said we called in some favors.It is a national known builder.Ran best in the 1/8 4.56 at 150 mph. Sponsorship money for a good deal on a national sponsorship isn't that easy to get.For all the yrs we been in,we have only gone three yrs without someone's paint on the side of the car.Someone with a limited track record would have a hard time getting support.There is a saying:"The road is a hard life and it's a hard life on the road". Those tours are not for everyone either.Living in a transporter isn't as glorious as it looks from the outside. Big Foot is a huge corporation with multiple rigs and trucks. Same for Grave Digger. Multi million dollar operations. I'm not saying he couldn't get in,but it would take time and a boat load of money for the first one atleast.Oh yeah it could take yrs of P-B-G sandwiches too.LOL.
Agree with you on this... Nothing is easy as it sounds. But it is a very profitable sport alot of the people involed get pile of cash from full stadiums. Sponsors is not as hard to find as a normal drag car. With drag you got at least two tracks in most major areas and they race every summer weekend. Monster trucks profide a little more show for the sponsors. But that being said all monster trucks are usally self starters. But a few of the newer guys are all cash corperate builds.

P-B-G is that a peanut butter and grease sandwhich! They are may favorite.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Plenty of deals out there . . . .

We just found and bought an ex-drag boat blown gas KB Hemi. Four passes since new, solid KB block, Mullins ex-Pro Stock heads, 8-71, Enderle FI unit, Magneto, the whole works. Just been sitting in a guys garage for several years.

Made 1642 HP when it was on the dyno. We gonna run methanol in it.

Came with low compression, but blower pulleys will fix that.

You not have to wind a Blown Alcohol motor a bunch, set it up for torque.

If you want to twist it, plan on keeping blowers and valve springs on it.

The rods will live to 10,300 RPM, they exit the block at about 10,400!!!

You can make these VERY reliable if you pay attention and plan it out.

Oh yeah, you can find these for less than 15K!!

Take care, K

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.