Thread: Bbc blown 468
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre1984 View Post
I am needing help this is my first blower motor I am building and need help on chooseing a cam. I have so far a 4 bolt main 60 over 454, steel crank, forged keith black icon pistons 8.7.1 compression, forged h beam rods 6.135, gm bowtie heads 2.25 and 1.88 valves casting number 12366390, 177 b&m blower, 1,050 holley dominator, msd ignition, 400 trans. I am wanting to go hydraulic roller or whatever it takes to get that big hp/tq number. I had my eye on a crane hr-244 part # 139651 but not sure if its a perfect choice will choose a converter once I choose a cam. This motor will be going into a 4,000 lbs caprice for the street and strip I am open to any suggestions.
I suspect you're looking at a LSA of 114 because someone told you that you need a wide LSA with a blower. BULLHOCKEY.
Blower Drive Service has been dinkin' with Roots blowers for 40 years and they say that you want to use 110 LSA with gasoline and a wider LSA for use with alcohol.

This is one of those urban legends that gets twisted around because someone left off the fact that the wider LSA is for alcohol.

Here's the verbage from BDS....
"The lobe center of the cam will play an important role in determining the performance characteristics of an engine. Wide lobe centers (112 to 114 degrees etc.) will create higher cylinder pressure providing more horsepower with cooler burning fuel such as alcohol and methanol. We have found 110 lobe centers to produce the best overall power on gasoline. Whatever cam you choose, make sure that it will operate and perform properly in the RPM range required for your application."

My recommendation would be to talk with the techs at BDS and ask for a cam recommendation for your particular application.....
http://blowerdriveservice.com/contact.php

Last edited by techinspector1; 12-05-2012 at 01:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
dre1984 (12-05-2012)