BBC broke timing cover!!! please help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BBC broke timing cover!!! please help!

Hey guys,
okay this sucks already and I'm nervous to hear the possibilities . So today I took my 454 out ( it's built up good all good parts alum heads , dome pistons ect ect. Supposed
To make about 600 hp but not dynoed so who knows... the motor has about 4 hours tops on it. Any way took it for a spin got on it a little in 1st and at about 5 grand it made a loud noise like it backfired out the carb and then died immediately. So I got out to check things and noticed my damn timing cover was broke on the driver side almost all the way acrossed .... have not tore into it yet. But what the heck did that and what else is probably broken.. like I said it turned of immediately So hopefully that helped.. let me know what you guys think...
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 AM

Last photo:

What kind of cam are you running? Pull the distributor first and look and the gear I fear you munched it and the cam tried to walk out the front. Just guessing of course.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

timing cover

it also sounds like u broke the timing chain.. not sure how that happens when its that new.. if thats the case i'd be looking at a 2 pc cover to replace it with.. if u do and your using a short water pump u need to put in small sheet metal spacer behind it to push it out as to not hit the cover...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Most likely you broke the chain. May have been defective or the wrong one. Pull the cover and take a look.

Chet
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 AM

Last photo:

Okay thanks guys I guess I won't really know till I take it apart but just wanted to get some ideas... I hope it didn't cause major damage. Like catastrophic or something. Oh I did pull the distributor and the gear was fine... ill let you know what I find out
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 AM

Last photo:

roller or flat tappet cam?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Solid roller
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

Are you using a timing chain cover from a engine that came with a flat tappet cam?
If so, that is a bad idea.

The timing chain is what holds the roller cam in place, unlike a flat tappet cam that uses a taper on the each cam lobe which forces the cam towards the back. The stock flat tappet timing chain has too much flex to hold in a roller cam.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
Are you using a timing chain cover from a engine that came with a flat tappet cam?
If so, that is a bad idea.

The timing chain is what holds the roller cam in place, unlike a flat tappet cam that uses a taper on the each cam lobe which forces the cam towards the back. The stock flat tappet timing chain has too much flex to hold in a roller cam.
I have a solid roller cam in my engine with an aftermarket stupid chrome cover and it held it`s place fine and i`m going to replace it with original factory cover,
why would`n it hold if used correctly with cam button?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have a solid roller cam in my engine with an aftermarket stupid chrome cover and it held it`s place fine and i`m going to replace it with original factory cover,
why would`n it hold if used correctly with cam button?
The stamped steel cover can flex and allow the cam to walk. Some guys weld a large washer on the cover or a nut and bolt that will push againt the water pump to limit flex. Or you could run a good cover.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 AM

Last photo:

On my BBC roller setup, I used a stock cover but welded a 1.5 x 1/8" thick bar across the front of the chain. From end to end, about a 6 or 7 inch long bar. Not sure if this is a good idea either, but it really stiffens up the stock timing chain cover. It would be best to buy a timing chain cover for a roller setup, but that will be expensive.

It is also important to set up the cam end play.

Just installing a cam button and a stock timing chain is asking for trouble.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

Ok guys.
So first to answer your question. No I bought a $172 dollar timing cover that is supposed to clear double roller chains I thought it was ridiculous but this is a gen6 block and the stock cover wouldn't fit so that makes even more mad because it's broke now.. anyway pulled the cover and chain was broke everything looks good except the chain being broke. However apparently the chain was rubbing the cover but not that much. Still trying to figure out why it broke.. but wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast62
Ok guys.
So first to answer your question. No I bought a $172 dollar timing cover that is supposed to clear double roller chains I thought it was ridiculous but this is a gen6 block and the stock cover wouldn't fit so that makes even more mad because it's broke now.. anyway pulled the cover and chain was broke everything looks good except the chain being broke. However apparently the chain was rubbing the cover but not that much. Still trying to figure out why it broke.. but wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks
if it was rubbing most likely the extra heat and wear caused it to fail. It is important to check the clearance on everything when using aftermarket parts. Could have also just been a defective chain but that in the least likely scenario

Chet
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

I'm not familiar with big blocks, but I know that a small block that came from the factory with a roller cam needs some grinding on the block to clear a double roller chain.
There is also the chance that a piston collided with a valve that should have been closed, but wasn't because the chain broke. Also a lifter might have come in contact with the wrong cam lobe if the cam went too far forward.
It might be a good idea to do a compression check/leak-down test on all cylinders before firing it up to see if a valve got bent.
If it was mine I'd pull the lifters/cam for inspection. IMHO
ssmonty

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.