Bbc Build Up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bbc Build Up

i have a 454 block. mark IV block. i do know i am going to do an eagle rotating assy, miliodon pan, aluminum water pump, brodix or edelbrock heads. and ill lighten up the valvetrain, with an edelbrock rpm air gap and 750 carb. i was going to do a 496 but than desided against it when my cam builder told me that he could do a cam that will do 625 hp and 650 lbs or torque. he told me my bell housing will be toast and my trans driveshaft and rear. this is in a 69 nova that has a 11 inch bellhousing with a muncie m-21 trans and a stock driveshaft with a 8.5 10 bolt rear with upgraded axles. so i desided to do a modern version of the classic 427 L-88. i was thinking make it look like it but with modern parts and make it revv to 6000 or 6500. what do you guys think? thanks al.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

Plan to drive it on the street?

A 454 with 500hp and 500 ftlb should be enough for a street/strip 69 nova. This can be easily done with stock heads (049, 781, 820's) and a big hydro cam like a compcam 292H and 9.5 to 10:1 cr. Edlebrock heads will be even better (maybe another 25 to 40hp).

for a street/strip car set the rods and main bearings at 0.0015 to 0.0020. Set the rear main at 0.0025 to 0.003. Any bigger than that and oil pressure will drop off when the engine gets warm.

hyper cast pistons is all you will need at this hp level. Would even be good enough for a little shot for n02 (125hp). just get a good set of rod bolts.

FYI
In theory, to make 625hp you will need a set of heads that flow 315 cfm at the max lift of the cam. If you plan to drive on the street then be careful not to install such a big cam to make street driving a problem. As big cam eat up valve trains and have very rough idles.

If you are on a budget, then use the stock heads and spend the money on the rear end. 3.73's with a limited slip center section would be a good street/strip match for the above mentioned setup. If you use a bigger cam or plan just to drag race then a higher numeric gear should be used.

Finally, if you use a flat tappet cam (hydro or solid) then make sure to use an oil additive. check out zddplus.com.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

No no no, ill be running on the street with a compression of 10.5:1. a custom ground hyd roller cam with the 4-7 swap and an everlast gear. alreayd have the cam made and all the rotating assy is forged and for heads im thinkin brodix race right oval ports, ill send them out to be ported along with the rpm air gap manifold. i already have my 750 carb and milidon pan.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

I think you are overkilling the build in both complexity and money. But it seems you have money to spend on the engine.

the cam needs to have more than 300 degrees advertised duration to run 10.5:1 cr with a BBC on pump gas. A cam like this would be better off with a single plane intake.

forged pistons are not good for a street car. noisy and wearout sooner

4-7 swap isn't that big a deal. not worth it.

750 cfm carb isn't big enough for your setup. 850 or 900 would be much better

If you get a set of street ovals afr's then you don't need to send them out for porting. could be the same money as getting a set of edelbrocks and having them ported.

port matching the intake doesn't do much.

You still need a timing chain cover for the roller cam, so you can set up the cam backlash. will also need a bronze gear for the distributor.

too late now but you would have been better off rebuilding the stock stuff, adding compression and installing a big flat tappet cam. Would had spent a 1/3 of the money and had a better street engine. Sure, not as much power but still over 500hp which is a good BBC street engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloyd1973
No no no, ill be running on the street with a compression of 10.5:1. a custom ground hyd roller cam with the 4-7 swap and an everlast gear. alreayd have the cam made and all the rotating assy is forged and for heads im thinkin brodix race right oval ports, ill send them out to be ported along with the rpm air gap manifold. i already have my 750 carb and milidon pan.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

deciding to run a 454 instead of a 496 on the street when you're buying the whole rotating assembly was a bad call, and no cam will get 625/650 out of a street driven NA 454, so either he plans on supercharging it or he's lying to sell you something.

the rest of it doesn't look bad though.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

one stock stuff is nothing compared to the new technology. and yes you can make that much hp for on the street. i dare you use a custom ground cam once and you will never go back! oh and by the way an everlast gear takes away the need for a bronze gear. and the reason i dont stroke it out is because it will be to much torque for my car. and 454s well everyone has them. who has a 427? i dont care if i can go bigger.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Well why did you ask the question? Too much torque is like saying there is a girl too pretty with too much class, being too lucky or a car too fast, being too lucky or having too much cash........ maybe he is trying to sell something. That custom ground cam must be something to be designing a whole engine around it.

Last edited by BBCMudbogger; 07-09-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

its not the 625hp I doubt, its the 650tq that he claims goes along with it. And a 496 is in almost all cases better than a 454, you can run a plate if the power scares you too much- or lower the compression and cam to maek the same power on cheaper gas with more durability...

BTW, I ain't never had too much fun.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Sounds to me like a case of too much money and not enough brai- er, ... I mean- info. (and why an Eagle bottom end when you couldda had a... never mind)

You can not talk to just one "mechanic" and then come here and spew like you know sumthin we don't!

Ain't nuthin new under THIS sun, me laddy.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

Ya, i figured you guys would be a little more into the whole retro thing. but i guess this shows the reason why i stoped using this forum. to many ppl that think they know stuff that they dont. one idk if you guys ever do any reading at all but now in days 600 hp big block is nothing. same as a small block doing 9 seconds in the 1/4. you guys think in the past. the reason behind a custom cam is to use a newer better design. most of comp cams cams are old. they have been around for a while. plus comp cams isnt on top of their game anymore. not at all. the new top dog is lunati. and 700 lbs of torque is nothing for bbc now in days. oh and why would i use stock heads? they could sink a boat and newer designs are soooo much better. but hey it dont matter because you guys KNOW everything under the sun. nothing new. this forum is like micheal jackson its gay and it gets old fast.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloyd1973
Ya, i figured you guys would be a little more into the whole retro thing. but i guess this shows the reason why i stoped using this forum. to many ppl that think they know stuff that they dont. one idk if you guys ever do any reading at all but now in days 600 hp big block is nothing. same as a small block doing 9 seconds in the 1/4. you guys think in the past. the reason behind a custom cam is to use a newer better design. most of comp cams cams are old. they have been around for a while. plus comp cams isnt on top of their game anymore. not at all. the new top dog is lunati. and 700 lbs of torque is nothing for bbc now in days. oh and why would i use stock heads? they could sink a boat and newer designs are soooo much better. but hey it dont matter because you guys KNOW everything under the sun. nothing new. this forum is like micheal jackson its gay and it gets old fast.

Lunati has good cams- they are not the best though.

700ftlbs of torque out of a NA street driven 454 is something new- infact I don't recall it ever being done before, this engine will not set the new standard.

And FWIW small blocks were doing 9's in the 1/4 back in the 60's.

I wish a thread could be removed because it was a waste of the internet...
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
700ftlbs of torque out of a NA street driven 454 is something new-
Ap, this da is gonna do it w/a 427, not a 454-plus BBC. I quote- "the reason i dont stroke it out is because it will be to much torque for my car. and 454s well everyone has them. who has a 427? i dont care if i can go bigger."

He's my hero!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,086 Times in 898 Posts
700 ft/lbs with a 427 street driver????????

Show me the dyno sheet please. Heck, just show me 600.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

Honestly opening and closing valves isn't rocket science and I'm pretty sure it has been the same for years....lol
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Another thread headed down the tubes. You guys are on a roll this week.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.