BBC Cam journal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BBC Cam journal

Hey I have a question; anyone know if the first two cam journal on a BBC 7.4 are supposed to be machine or as cast? 3-5 are machined. Thanks for any help on this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsr396gap View Post
Hey I have a question; anyone know if the first two cam journal on a BBC 7.4 are supposed to be machine or as cast? 3-5 are machined. Thanks for any help on this.
Uh... Im gonna need a picture of that. I would drive the block up to the machine shop and ask if they need to be line bored. hopefully they are honest. If i had to guess blind the answer is yes you need a machine shops help.

All journals are line bored at the factory and then the bearings installed. As cast they are not even the correct size for the cam to fit in. They are cast undersized then bored out to the cam bearing stock OD spec. Maybe I missunderstood you.

hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

I have attached a picture (hopefully attached). The Motor is a 496 stroker BBC that I bought from Blue Print. Had a noise that I did not like so I did a tear down and found the noise and figure I change out all the bearings while it was apart. I did not think I had a cam issue until took the bearings out. Waiting on the new cam bearings to find out what the OD of the bearing is supposed to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cam_journal1.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	68472  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I have attached a picture (hopefully attached). The Motor is a 496 stroker BBC that I bought from Blue Print. Had a noise that I did not like so I did a tear down and found the noise and figure I change out all the bearings while it was apart. I did not think I had a cam issue until took the bearings out. Waiting on the new cam bearings to find out what the OD of the bearing is supposed to be.
That texture looks to have been caused by bead blasting.

The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
Dsr396gap (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Thats a spun bearing that someone tried to fix by ruffing up the surface a little and using stock sized bearing. It should have been bored out by the engine builder. Hardly what i would call blueprint engine. It needs to be line bored dont order cam bearings. Its got to go to the machine shop. You will need to run over sized bearings from now on. Larger OD, ID stays the same.

Dont ever buy anything that says blueprint. Catch word that usally means junk.

Sorry to see it.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

I have seen more issues with BBC cam tunnels more then SBC. It looks like line boring is a must.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE View Post
I have seen more issues with BBC cam tunnels more then SBC. It looks like line boring is a must.
Yep bead blasting the cam bearing surface after a spun or worn bearing will allow the new bearing to stay in place for enough miles to get it out the door. Bad thing is you can for sure know that someone new it had a spun bearing and went to effort to conseal it. Its a common trick among slack machanic's, that and little locktight and it will stay in place until you drive out of the shop. You can even see where it had spun before and was sanded/beaded smooth again.

Sorry to see it wish i knew a trick as cheap to getting it fix. But line boring is the only way. Good news is it will be fix right.

Now the crappy part.... If the cam bearings were spun from wear before it was rebuilt. I bet the crank bearings need to be line bored also. Good time to add in stronger crank caps and bolts since it needs the line bore there as well. Make sure you have a trusted machine shop check all the specs bores and everyhting never know what was done before it came your way. Some engine builders are terrible. With zero pride for there work. US/Mexico whatever doesnt matter.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Wanted to thank everyone that replied, looks like trip to the machine shop. Have a great day. This is a pic of what motor is for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	836.7 KB
ID:	68490  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.