Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - BBC Cam Lobe Paranoia?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
and compared to water, how effective is it as a COOLANT?

I won't argue that you've had luck with waterless coolant, but your approach has to be the most bassackwards approach to coolant selection I have ever heard of, most people seek good heat transfer first and then worry about corrosion and localized boiling.

Your approach is much more stable, not denying that, but its also a MUCH less effective coolant.
You know, I was semi-aware of Evans, and in the quest to figure out the best approach to plumb my Hilborn I was first told to use it from Andy Starr at Hilborn (as he uses it in his '56 BBC w/Hilborn)-he swears by it because of it's cooling qualities, and told me he noticed a big difference when he changed over-

Anyway, this past week I ordered and received "Engine Cooling Systems by Ray Bohacz "-I received it last Saturday-it is a little boring in places, but there is a lot of good information there-he is a big Evans guy too, and for many good reasons, such as Boiling Point (375 degreees on Evans vs. 265 for water), the fact that it is very resistant to "vaporizing or boiling", it doesn't have "silicate fallout", won't corrode because there is no water in it and many other valid reasons-

I am gathering info on this stuff (I know it's been out for a long time), but, so far, I can't find really bad stuff on this-do you have info on it?

I was a little bit shocked, and, I am gathering info on Evans products as I am very concerned about keeping my combo cool-