Bbc engine advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 05:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bbc engine advice

Hi all, i would basically like to build an Beast Street Performance car with nice sound to it and lots of power that i can drive 50 miles and back on any giving day without problems, specially the heating part.. so this is what i got so far...

454 BBc enginde bored at .30 casting #1401545 with flat head pistons and stock crankshaft and rods... 1968 heads closed chamber 107cc, with 2.242/1.887 valves been ported and tripled angled casting #3919840 taking out of a 1968 427engine vette....
TH400 automatic transmition, 12 bolt rear axle... btw this all for my 1970 SS Chevelle that im restoring , everything original except the engine... so i dont know what the rear axe ratio is yet since i havent openned it....

I need everything else and since i know nothing about what im doing i need lots of good advice...

I was looking or u can say thinking about purchasin the summit plasma-moly rings for my pistons... the summit cam cam sum-k1303 specs 3000-6500rpm 238/248 duration at .50 .540/.540 lift , i heard those are kind of good on a cam thread on this site. some summit roller rocket arms, a holley dual pump 750 cfm, and a nice converter but dont know which, some nice springs and a high preasure oil pump...

So what you guys think, will all that do the trick and if i left anything out please let me know or any other ideas for what i want would be deeply appreciated... ahh almost forgot that i have a fluid damper and double chain timming with degree gears... tnx in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`d go with a step smaller cam since you plan to street drive it, why install a cam where the power band starts at 3000 RPM if it`s street driven? you`ll have to gear it lower to get it in it`s power band at cruise which makes for higher operating temps and more fuel consumption due to the increased RPM. I`d look over comp cams line, there technology is up to date on there cam profiles giving you more cam for the dollar. I`d focus on the torque the 454 makes, a smaller cam would make for more low rpm torque and you wouldn`t have to gear it lower to get the same results. torque is what moves that heavy chevy around, it`s also what makes the car throttle responsive and a blast to drive. Also make sure you set up a Quench distance of around .040.

Last edited by DoubleVision; 05-11-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:15 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Find out what gears your running, you want to be somewhere between 3.00-3.50 to make your commute easier. Give Comp Cams a call and tell them what set up you have and what you want out of the motor. You should shoot for a strong low end. You car is heavy, the first gear in a TH400 is not the best for getting off the line which you can't compensate for by running a low rear gear or you won't keep the streetability you want.

Mike
Old 05-11-2004, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
so i dont know what the rear axe ratio is yet since i havent openned it
instead of opening it up,i'd just lift the rear end up,mark the driveshaft,spin the wheel one full revolution and count how many times the drive shaft turns.that should give you close to what your rear end is.if it's stock you might get a code off it and someone here could possibly tell you.
i've got an almost .600 lift cam in my 454 and from what i've learned here at this site,bigger isn't always better.if i had found this site before i did my build i would have definately changed some things up.not that i'm unhappy with what i have just that i could have gotten a little more for a little less.
this is a great site with lots of knowledgable people!
good luck!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

If you restoring the chevelle, just pull the cover and drain out all that old oil. Get a new gasket and some Royal Purple gear oil and fill it back up. Inspect the ring gear for two numbers divide then and tha is your rear gear ratio. For example the numbers 41 11, 41 divided by 11 is 3.73 so that meaks 3.73:1 rear gears.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Tnx all for your replies, although im a newbie at this and i dont understands some stuff pls bare with me,.

-doublevision,, so u think i should get a lower cam??? how will i find the torque my 454 makes? and what u mean by make sure you set up a Quench distance of around .040.??? like i said b4 ,, i dont know much about making a good powerfull streetcar..

as far as the rear end i beleive i need like a 3.70.1 to make up for the th400 trans...
Old 06-15-2004, 03:20 AM

Last journal entry: Dug up some old pics
Last photo:

I cannot be bothered checking part numbers (sorry) bt the stock L88 cam that came out in corvettes is a very streetable cam with a good powerband something 1500-5500. i got that from an old engines book with a gale banks twin turbo on the cover. Infact the best thing to do is read book, look at what other people have already tried and see what their dyno results were. there are loads of arcticles everywhere

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.