BBC even coolant distribution. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BBC even coolant distribution.

I'm putting together the cooling system on a turbocharged BBC project. I'm using a remote electric pump. My goal is to keep the chamber temps as even as possible. I will be casting my intake so I can make the coolant cross over the front, back, or both. The heads also have plugs into the jackets between the center chambers. From what I've found, reverse cooling isn't a good idea and I haven't found much on running extra coolant lines to the middle or back of the motor. I know this is common on a SBC. Is it not needed on big blocks? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Kevin

Advertisement

Last edited by KA67_72; 04-21-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Hey I am not sure I can answer your question but I really like your ride. I am not usually a fan of those super chopped up hotrods but I dig the one you have there.

Is your block a GEN IV, GEN V, or GEN VI?

Or are you working with the 348 or 409. The different generations of BBC's have different ways of moving the coolant through the block. They fill and flow to certain parts of the block differently. So I would take a look at the way the coolant moves on your particular block and then do a crossover, (with a few external lines, but the fact that you can cast your own intake is AWESOME) from the places that fill first to the places that fill last. Or from the places with highest flow to the places with the least flow.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Double_v23,
Thanks. The block is a Gen IV 454. I'm starting with 049 heads with 2.19 and 1.88 valves. If I can't make enough with them I'll get some aftermarket heads. I've been experimenting with metal casting for a few years because the things I want are way too expensive for me to buy. My plan is to work towards casting heads so eventually it will have DOHC 4 valve heads.

Kevin
Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA67_72
I'm putting together the cooling system on a turbocharged BBC project. I'm using a remote electric pump. My goal is to keep the chamber temps as even as possible. I will be casting my intake so I can make the coolant cross over the front, back, or both. The heads also have plugs into the jackets between the center chambers. From what I've found, reverse cooling isn't a good idea and I haven't found much on running extra coolant lines to the middle or back of the motor. I know this is common on a SBC. Is it not needed on big blocks? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Kevin
SBCs put additional cooling into the center of the head because of the paired exhausts creating a hot spot there. The BBC does't have the same problem.

Typically the way Detroit cools engines is to put cool coolant against the front cylinders and flowing it toward the rear picking up heat as it goes. Then introducing it at the back of the head to flow forward. This results in the situation of the coolest cylinders having the hottest combustion chambers and the hottest cylinders having the coolest combustion chambers. Surprisingly this evens out the work accomplished by each cylinder pretty well.

To change this pattern would require a lot of work to the head gaskets as their holes are the ones that really are managing coolant flow, not the casting holes which all tend to be rather large.

Tricks I've seen and some I've used are to obstruct the flow into the front of the block, feed the coolant thru the side soft plug holes, (yes this gets to tapping and making adapters) then flow the coolant up and out collecting it at both the front and rear of the heads for return to the radiator. I've seen this done in reverse but haven't done that myself. It's been 5 decades since Pontiac first put reverse coolant flow on a production GM V8, they removed it in a couple years seeing the problems exceed the benefit. We saw it again on the LT1/4 with the same old issues of problems versus benefits. While the benefit looks so good on paper, the engineering is just to quirky to take constant and consistent advantage of reverse flow at least in a production to general user situation.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.