BBC Head Machining - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

BBC Head Machining

How much is this running you guys? I've been calling around for quotes for Valve seats from a std 781 out to 2.19/1.88, as well as valve guides installed, with and valve job. Cheapest I could find is $675 for both heads. I'm thinking this is a little steap?

One way or another this is still cheaper than buying aluminums!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Is that including everything? I mean will they be ready to bolt on and go?Is this new valves and springs?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:03 PM

No, this isn't assembly, and I've purchased Manley 2.19/1.88 valves, and the valve guides, rockers, retainers, etc etc etc. This is just the machining that I believe I'm being charged an arm and a leg for! Putting the heads together isn't a problem, trying to save money and learn at the same time!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

I would shop around.That price is a bit too steep.I had a set of BBs done last year had them machined for larger valves, new valves,new springs,guides . All of that set me back an even $600.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

I get $550.00 ==Bake&Blast. Magnaflux. Check for warp. Check guides. Shorten guides .400.. Cut for .530 seals. Serdi profile cut 2.19-1.88 seats to proper depth. Bowl hog area behind valves. Light blend, bowl/short side radius. Check for proper/available spring height on Intake and exhaust. No parts, not assembled.

If heads need surface cut up to .010. $55.00 each, if done during the above operations..
Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 PM
More for Less Racer

It that price you are very close to the cost (about $100 more) to a set of the ProComp aluminum bare castings. You have all the parts, the bare castings are fully machined and only need a check out of valve job and guides by a machine shop and would be ready to assemble. Do some minor snading roll blending and cleanup if you want.

These are a decent casting.... it is the cheesy ProComp sourced valvetrain parts that are giving them a bad rep from folks that don't know any better, who buy them complete, bolt them on out-of-the-box and then complain when they have problems.

I would never put that much into old stock iron castings, it is just not worth it, eat bologna sandwiches and Ramen for a week and get new aluminum.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Just got the heads in today, best part is: They've already been ported!@!# They still need a LITTLE work, but I'm just going to touch it up with a die grinder, then get a polishing tip and go to town for a few days.

Not too bad for $220 shipped to my front door. Although, I still need to get my valves seats installed.. Any reputable places in the northern midwest (Minnisota, Wisconsin, Illinois)?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Gene Pearson ( Performance Concepts??? ) purchased one of my Serdi 100's and does great work. He is in Minneapolis. If you can't find him, PM me and I'll get you his number.

His shop is in his back yard and off the beaten path but he does awesome work.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
It that price you are very close to the cost (about $100 more) to a set of the ProComp aluminum bare castings. You have all the parts, the bare castings are fully machined and only need a check out of valve job and guides by a machine shop and would be ready to assemble. Do some minor snading roll blending and cleanup if you want.

These are a decent casting.... it is the cheesy ProComp sourced valvetrain parts that are giving them a bad rep from folks that don't know any better, who buy them complete, bolt them on out-of-the-box and then complain when they have problems.

I would never put that much into old stock iron castings, it is just not worth it, eat bologna sandwiches and Ramen for a week and get new aluminum.
can you get those procomp castings in oval port?
or are they only square port?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Procomps are available in both port styles..
Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Procomps are available in both port styles..
thanks
because I have considered selling my 781s and getting a set of alums for the weight savings on the front end
cool factor also
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
thanks
because I have considered selling my 781s and getting a set of alums for the weight savings on the front end
cool factor also
is it kool when the seats fall out..
Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 PM

The prices aren't outrageous. Depending on the part of the country, labor rates vary greatly. We charge $250 to enlarge the seats (with a "dead pilot" system using Serdi-style cutters), $100 to install the guides and $90 to resurface the pair. This is right in line with Bob's prices.

There are some options that can make a much better outcome for a little more money, like 11/32" stems/guides (valves are significantly lighter, and time has proven plenty tough). We install 1/2" OD bronze "fat guides" in the existing "knock outs", avoiding the added need for pressure testing when new guides are installed (exhaust side is exsposed to water).

ProComp heads, "bare", are NOT ready to install the parts and "go". No aftermarket head is really "ready to run". Unless you pay the "extra" for a pre-ported pair, they're usually a bit "scabby" and need at least some polishing. Usually, the imported heads need a bit of port work to make them perform nearly as well as say, Brodix or Dart. Even those, and E-heads, need some touch up when new. They all need upgraded valve grinds, too. Less expensive CNC-ported heads should be avoided as well, as the porting is suspect at best. "CNC" doesn't necessarily mean better, but it does mean once the ports were established, no improvements were made. We prefer to move ahead each time we do a pair.

Jim

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.