BBC L29 Vortec 7400 Head Cutaway Pics! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BBC L29 Vortec 7400 Head Cutaway Pics!

Learn from my mistake!
Wrecked this one and had another set I wanted to put on the MK IV on my ski boat so cut this one apart. great combustion chamber however most people ask about removing the vane or ski Jump. the hole I drilled to the left is 3/10" deep and the other is 2/10" deep si I would say yes. Epoxy in hole on the left is from rocker stud boss removed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 01:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Holy ****!

Well, thanks for the photos and the ski jump removal verification, but what a drag the head was toast.

The one chunk would make a good ash tray...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

YEAH! No ****, and I don't trust it's mate either. It was smaller than a pinhole till I verified where the leak was and dug around with a seal pic. dug around the same spot on another intake and went through also!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat
YEAH! No ****, and I don't trust it's mate either. It was smaller than a pinhole till I verified where the leak was and dug around with a seal pic. dug around the same spot on another intake and went through also!
So this was an OEM head? If not whose was it? Or was the leak caused by porting.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Yes OEM Head with hole in waterjacket caused by getting carried away with a carbide burr!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the pics

Kevin
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

I built another set of Vortec L29 7400's for the 454 in my ski boat. It just had peanut ports with flat tops about .012" down the hole so I just did rings and bearings with a Comp 270S cam, Stock size Ferria valves and a composite head gasket. I added an Edelbrock Performer and the difference is amazing!! Killer top end!!!

People Have said putting the Vortecs on a Mark IV results in coolant leaks into the engine valley, Not so in this case..
Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat
I built another set of Vortec L29 7400's for the 454 in my ski boat. It just had peanut ports with flat tops about .012" down the hole so I just did rings and bearings with a Comp 270S cam, Stock size Ferria valves and a composite head gasket. I added an Edelbrock Performer and the difference is amazing!! Killer top end!!!

People Have said putting the Vortecs on a Mark IV results in coolant leaks into the engine valley, Not so in this case..
GMPP has also warned of there being leakage from using Mark IV heads on a Gen 5:

Quote:
Important Technical Note: Use of the adjustable Mark IV cylinder head is not recommended with the new “Gen V engine,” except with Bow Tie racing blocks and all Gen VI with six-bolt composite front covers. Changes in the configuration of the “Gen V’s” coolant transfer passages allows coolant to seep into the lifter valley when the Mark IV head is used.
Victor Reinz has designed two Nitroseal® head gaskets to specifically allow for this conversion. The installation requires Victor Reinz part number 4918 be installed on the right cylinder bank to maintain proper coolant circulation, and part number 4923 to be installed on the left cylinder bank for the correct coolant flow.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

That's great information! I used Mr Gasket "series cooled" gaskets and drilled the coolant passages into the gasket with a Forstner drill bit at very high RPM for paralell cooling. I also opened up the upper holes as on disassembly I noticed some of the holes were plugged or at least partially plugged. This boat is Raw Water cooled and with the thermostat mods I have don it runs at a nice 150 to 160 degrees F. The Mr Gasket head gasket seems like a nice gasket with a rubberized coating, complete OH set was less than $40.00 on sale.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.