BBC Oiling Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

BBC Oiling Questions

I'm laid up, recovering from Achilles tendon surgery and I'm thinking about an oiling issue I was dealing with before that happened.
I know I need to do some diagnostics, but until I can walk I'm stuck bench wrenching.

The motor is a 509 Gen VI BBC, Edelbrock RPM oval port heads, comp solid roller, GS roller lifters. High Volume std pressure oil pump - 20lbs @ 1000rpm and 65lbs @ 6000rpm

From idle to 2000 you can run the motor with the valve covers off, even 20w-40 oil only seeps out of the pushrods. Here's a link to a video of it:
WOLF WENGLER'S PONTIACS
Above that rpm it will spray oil on the fenderwells.
The motor has an older set of Comp proMagnum roller rockers. The oil runs down around the trunion and the roller tip and the valve spring don't get much oil at idle. This is a street driven hot rod. At first I thought it was enough, but now I'm not so sure.
Question 1) Does this look right? Why do solid rollers oil so poorly at low RPM?

This is s street driven car. I believe the valve seals (PC teflon) have gone bad, all the plugs show oil. (No, I havent 'leaked' it yet)
Question 2) Would viton seals and a newer design rocker that oils the spring be the best answer? or what else?

And what about this?
With the driver's side valve cover off and the motor running I can look down the forward oil drainback hole in the head and into the lifter gallery, and see the hole in the front of the block inside the front cover where the timing chain is. Running at idle, I see a lot of splashing oil,... sheets of oil sloshing around the chain.
Question 3) Is that normal or could something be leaking up front, like an oil galley plug or somehow from the front of the cam?
Could all these oiling issues be tied together? Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

20psi at 1000 doesnt sound normal. Your thought on a front galley plug is a reasonable answer. If one fell out, it might be in the pan. You could try and fish around for it or take the front cover off.
The Following User Says Thank You to lmsport For This Useful Post:
Wolf Wengler (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks. The front cover coming off looks like it will part of the plan. Is that normal to see oil slinging around as I described?

Tags
bbc, oiling, top end

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.