Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - BBC Solid mechanical roller or solid mechanical flat tappit???
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw
I worry about running a solid roller on the street. I have been told that in racing apps the mechanical roller stuff lives in a world of low rpms and high rpms. Fast acceleration, and stoping. This driving gives the lifter plenty of oil. I was told that using a mechaincal roller on the street at constant rpms would starve the lifters/cam of oil and cause problems. True or false???
Constant rpm's will not hurt the cam/lifters,so long as the constant rpm's are not at an extended idle.Part of the oiling to the cam & lifters comes from windage,so,IMO,1200-1500 rpm will help provide additional oiling.On the highway,mine runs at 2500 + rpm for hours at a time with no issues so far,after more than 3 years and 15,000 miles.And as was pointed out,a lot of lifters today have direct oiling,or it is available as an option.Proper valve spring selection is critical for longevity,check with the manufacturer.
Guy