Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - BBC Solid mechanical roller or solid mechanical flat tappit???
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Stud girdles are ALWAYS a good idea in my book, but not really necessary for a motor like you're talking about. I really liked the Herbert cam. At the time, I talked to all the major, (and some less well known) cam makers, and they were ALL trying to talk me into a smaller roller than the flat tappet I had to begin with. That was NOT what I had in mind when I decided to go roller. I approached them all by telling them the specs on the flat tappet I was currently running, and where I wanted to go with the roller, and they all tried to talk me into going smaller, except Herbert. When I told them what I was running, and that I wanted to go with a little more duration and as much more lift as I could get, they suggested a grind number, and the specs were pretty much exactly what I had in the back of my mind, so I ordered it. I was using a set of "good used" roller lifters acquired from a friend, and one of them went bad, taking out a cam lobe with it. Herbert repaired the cam like BRAND NEW for $75 (if I didn't know better, I would have SWORN it WAS brand new), and sold me a new set of roller lifters for like $175, I was so happy with their prices and service, I also ordered new springs, retainers and locks from them as well.