Bbf 460 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Bbf 460

I just bought a 1968 Lincoln Continental that has a 460. the car is in very good condition car started just fine it just has a problem that it over heats but thats something else. what i what to ask im not very familiar with ford motors but i would like to get some ideas for the engine i would like to get a good sound out of it like installing a cam. maybe overhauling it all and get cam,intake,carb,headers. heads are out of the question there too $$$.. i dont now what piston to use flat or dish. this car would be just a weekend driver if that ones or twice a mouth.
or should i just leave it stock
i would appreciate your recommendations

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Try flushing the cooling system first and replace the thermostat..lot of those were not serviced so they overheat. when in good condition they work fine..

these are the guys for Ford cams:

http://www.camresearchcorp.com/ check on heads with them as well as when you do a rebuild one needs to do the heads and a good 3 angle job and a bit of port cleaning will do wonders if you have the good heads to start with..

Sam
Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

That could be a tough chassis to find headers for, I did a quick search and didn't come up with any. Maybe a set of weld-up's would work.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM

car has a 460 with a Rochester quadrajet on it, i dont know what heads that car comes with, there telling me they cam out with two different heads on with 77cc and the other one with 93cc. one would be a cobra jet and the other would be a super cobra jet i would not know. i guess i would have to get the casting # on the heads..i know that 460 LOVE gas station so would not go to the extreme on it, i also dont want to give up the ride that the car has with a big choppy cam. im telling you the car is very nice suicide doors and a beautiful ride
Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibora
...i also dont want to give up the ride that the car has with a big choppy cam. im telling you the car is very nice suicide doors and a beautiful ride
You must mean give up streetability, the cam doesn't do anything to the ride.

Your first post calls for a good sound out of it like installing a cam, then go on with more possible mods, each change taking away more of that vehicles charactoristics you want to keep.

I'm not a BBF guy, but you think Ford didn't make any other heads for their 460 than Cobra jet pieces?? I doubt that, that engine went into a lot of vehicles, trucks included.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Are you sure it's a 460 have you ran the #s to know for sure. It could be a 462 .

Cole
Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 PM

yea its a 460 still have the dealers sticker with the cars info and the vin # 460.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 PM
More for Less Racer

If the heads are correct for 1968 they would be 77cc chamber "Thunder-jet" heads, not Cobra-jet. Cobra-jet and Super Cobra-jet are the big port big valve versions on the performance engines in the Torino/Cyclone and Mustang/Cougar, these were only use on 429's and not on 460's from the factory.

Get the head casting # if you think they might be different than stock.

You won't want to go too big on the cam, the Continental has a lot of vacuum operated accessories that you need vacuum for, stay less than 222 duration @.050", around .500" lift, on a 110-112 lobe seperation.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Unleadded fuel ?

I don't remember when the Unleaded fuel heads started. they have better valves and seats. 460's tend to stretch the timing chains. a double roller is best set dead on 0 degrees. ford used different factory intake manifolds. some had the square holly pattern and others had the little and big bore pattern , My 460 Van had an rv cam, holly 4 bbl and dual exhaust, no cat and I remember beating a new corvette that pulled up in the parking lane, passing a 1/4 mile of stopped traffic. when the light turned green he couldn't keep up. Some of the ford distributors have the vacuum can that you can us a 1/8 allen wrench in the hose port to adjust to match your cam change requirements.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.