BC/CC with graphics - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

BC/CC with graphics

I知 almost ready to paint my 95 Ram. I致e done some research and think I have my plan right, but want to run it by everyone for some input. I知 going to be using PPG BC/CC . The color will be Emerald Green Pearlcoat/ Silver Pearl two tone, plus Silver Pearl ghost flames. The truck will be disassembled for painting, so everything will get the BC/CC.

The truck has been primed with epoxy primer, then high build 2K primer. I plan on blocking using 180, then 400. Then 600 wet.

Painting will consist of a sealer coat, then 2 coats of DBC BC, followed by 2 coats of 2021 clear. The next day, I値l assemble the truck, then wet sand the panels to receive the pearl with 800. The pearl will be Silver Pearl in DBC 500. I値l spray that and then two more coats of clear over the pearl.

I only paint something every 5 years or so, with most of my recent experience being Awlgrip on boats. I have never done a BC/CC system. So I have some questions about the clear.

I would like to do the pearl in the DBC 500 directly over the basecoat. But due to having to BC, then assemble, then mask and paint the pearl, then disassemble to clear coat, then assemble again. I think there痴 less chance of screwing it up by going BC/CC/Assemble/Pearl/CC.

Should I use hardener in the BC and 500?

Are there precautions that I need to take having the 500 between the coats of clear?

Will the 2 additional coats of clear only on the pearled panels be obvious, or should I plan on clearing everything again?

Is 800 the right grit to use for wet sanding between coats of clear?

If I finish the first coats of clear, then decide to do an overnighter, and have the pearl and final clear applied within 12-18 hrs or so, do I need to do the 800 wet sanding?

Is it actually better to wait 24 hrs or more between the first coats of clear and the final ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

it sounds like you got it all pretty much covered just follow the directions on the can if you have any problems figuring it out then you can get the p sheet for it. you should be able to get away with re-clearing the other panels just as long as you get your texture right but if you wet sand with a soft block and buff youll be in good shape. ive always been told to use 600 in-between clears. it sounds like a good color scheme though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.