BC/CC Over Enamel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 06:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

BC/CC Over Enamel

I just purchased a great 55 210 2Dr. It has a small door ding on the passenger door also a small spot on the passenger fender around the antenna.
The enamel is in great shape good deep shine. My question is what steps should be taken to after the repairs to spray BC/CC?

Or should I just go back with an good quality enamel?
Thanks,

Will

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Not sure what you are asking here.
Are you just wanting to paint the door and fender only?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:24 AM

Last photo:

I would like to paint Dupont Chromabase over the enamel ofter repairing the bad spots. Is there any thing special I need to do to put BC/CC over the enamel. The spots that need filler are small approx 1".
I was hoping I could water sand with 600 the whole panel then repair the spots spray over repair with a 2k primer block sand with 600 then just blend the basecoat where needed then clear the whole panel.

Thanks,

Will
Old 09-29-2006, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

You would need to shoot the whole car with an approved primer or sealer. An enamel paint is not an approved substrate for the Chromabase basecoat.

Is the enamel on this car the only layer of paint on it?

You may be better off stripping the entire car.

If the paint is in good shape like you say, why not paint the fender and door only and try to match it to the rest of the car?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Last photo:

It can be done but it's a real touchy repair. What color are you dealing with?
The problem with shooting basecoat over that enamel is the solvents in the base are strong enough to penetrate that soft enamel and cause lifting easily.

It's worth a try though and I wouldn't hesitate but I've been down this road many times before and know how it needs to be handled. Let's see if I can esplain..

Make your repairs keeping the repair areas as small as possible, prime the spots with a good urethane surfacer , don't be tempted to use lacquer primer as it'll pull your solvent out of the basecoat and hold it untill the enamel surrounding the repairs starts to wrinkle.

Let the 2K cure up good and do your final sanding with 600 or 800.

Lightly scuff the complete panel with a grey scotchbrite and scuff gel/paste with water. Dry the panel well and mask for paint. If this is a metalic make sure you don't scuff so much that the metalics are damaged or this panel won't match the adjacent panels.

If this is a metalic color apply one light coat of DuPont 222S over the complete panel and allow to dry in good temps for 20-30 minutes then apply another light coat. If 222S isn't available use an intercoat clear reduced 200%. These coats need to be mist coats and very thin so the solvents flash out fast! Let it set for another 20-30 minutes. Note:Southern Polyurethanes has a really good intercoat if 222S isn't available in your area.

Now spot in your first thin coat of paint over the repair and allow to flash for another 20-30 minutes, apply another thin coat which hopefully reaches full coverage and allow to set another 20-30 minutes. Make sure to keep the coats thin so the solvents come out fast. When full coverage is achieved apply another coat only this time blend out the edge as needed. If you've made it this far without any lifting you did everything right. Now let it set for an hour or two before you apply the clear.

On solid colors the 222S or intercoat clear isn't needed but with metalics it does help with blending IMO-especially with some Chromabase colors.

Make sure you're shooting in good temperatures 70degrees at a minimum with 80+ being better, use a heatlamp if you have one.

You're doing a repair that is possible but one many wouldn't suggest due to the problems that can be had if you don't pay attention to the strength of the solvents-basemaker. Take your time, let them solvents evaporate! Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.