Beater or hot rod, which is more fun? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 12:35 PM

Last journal entry: Update, or fast forward 18 months:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Beater or hot rod, which is more fun?

Back in '87, when I turned 16, I got a job and bought a '64 Nova SS. It had a 350 and a 3 speed, and a pretty nice paint job. I drove it to high school every day until I turned left in front of an oncoming car and smashed up the front end. While I was fixing the car, I bought a little Plymouth Arrow pickup (think D-50) to drive. It was a beater, but man we had some fun in that little sucker!

I ended up converting it to a convertible, lowering it some and adding some tunes while I was working on getting the Nova back on the road. When the Nova was done and painted, (and hopped up pretty good) I would take it out, but I was always worried about scratching it up, or getting the seats dirty....

So, I am here to say that, in some ways, my beaters have been more fun than my hot rods. Believe me, I've had a lot of beaters. The hot rods are much more rewarding and the attention the bring is fun, but if you just want to go out and have some fun, the beater is where it's at.

Maybe that's why rat rods are becoming more popular.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
User

Last photo:

Yup, thats about right. I don't really like the thoughts of a car that is too nice, and I have always been into "ratrods" or whatever. I havn't really rode or drove too many nice cars, but its too much of a liability. Why pay a couple of thousand for a paint-job that you can mess up the same as a $100.00 one?

I have had alot of fun out of beaters...a red chevette that had been to Germany...and back. There was no floors on either side, just roof-tin covered with house carpet. It had been rolled over, popped back into shape, and had apparently kept going until the original owner, about 300,000 miles later, decided to trade the car back in. This car deserved a medal. I don't even know if it had ever been rebuilt. I gave 250 for it, and sold it for 120.00 a few months later. But i had a few incidents with it. The passenger side door would not open for some reason. One time while I was driving along with my grandpa, the wheel fell off, i mean, the spindle popped out or something, I can't remember what it was. But at 20mph the car jumps, and then nosedives into the ground. I got out to inspect the damage, (Since my grandpa was trapped inside, because his door wouldn't open) and the passenger side wheel is rammed up into the wheel well...so we took a back-hoe and dragged it somewhere out of the way, and put it up on blocks.

I wasn't maybe a week or two later, that me and my dad was out driving...down probably one of the steepest hills around here, which is carved into the side of a hill, straight down, with a highwall on the other side, and a few curves. I was driving, and taking it easy in the 'Vette, and I go to mash my brakes, and they go to the floor, nothing happens. There was no emergency brake, and the chevette is now going about 45-50 mph down the hill, so we shove the transmission into park, it makes a buzzing noise and dosn't bother slowing down, so I rammed it into a 2-foot deep ditch, and tryed to stop it, this didn't really help, since the car somehow managed to jump, or bounce out of the ditch and get stuck about halfway up the side of the bank on the other side, it busted a rear-shock. And we had to call someone to drag us out with a truck. It wasn't too long after that until I got rid of it. We did manage to fix the brake problem though. That was a scary, and nasty car to drive though.

Theres a few more ratty vehicles that I've drove alot, but the Chevette was probably the worst out of all of them, I still would like to have had the running gear out of that one though. But imagine how floppy the Chassis would be in a uni-frame car with no floors, just a trans tunnel, firewall, and a trunk floor...well it had a roof though.

-GF

-GF
Old 06-19-2006, 03:14 PM

Beater always wins!

A great paint job will always be appreciated, By the right crowd. Those "crowds" usually aren't at the grocery store parked next to you, or watching where they're releasing their shopping carts into the wild in a parking lot. I'd hate to own a garage or trailer queen, but what choice do you have, if you spend a min. of $5000.00 for a paint job?
I had a 72 pinto as a first car. It had the 2.0 liter motor with a header and holley 2bbl carb with aftermarket manifold. THAT was a fun car!!! After my moms Ex-husband and I painted it (white w/ green flames) I'd spent so much time on the paint and body work, I worried about parking it anywhere. ( I know, it was still only a pinto). After a wild shopping cart in the grocery store parking lot got the pass fender, I enjoyed the car again.
I street raced it (quit laughing), my buddies and I (we were 17) tried out rally racing it on fire roads, jumped a couple of dips, and did many doughnuts in the middle of our hometown main street late at night. Ahhhhh the good ole days.
Now I'd like to find another one but I found out that mustang II V8 springs in the front, lift it about 3" in the front and make a desert baja runner out of it.
It has a 8" rr end, weld the spider gears, cage it, throw on some off road tires and run it hard!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:22 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Yep beaters are FUN. A few years ago I bought a 1978 monte carlo(78 monte go figure?? LOL)body to put my good motor anf tranny in.Anyways I had big plans for the car but it tuirned out to be to rotted to fix.
So I founf another one(same color and all)that was solid w/ a bad tranny.As I fixed it up I pulled all the good parts off the beat one as I drove it.All crome,trims,some windows(LOL).
Then once all the usable parts were off the old one we proceeded to beat the living snot outta it.Jumps,doughnuts,burnouts you name it LOL.Motor was so tired(305 2bbl) that without the aircleaner it would blow a fireball out the carb so big it would roll up the windshield if you stepped on it.LOL Oil Fouled plugs every 4-5 days.LOL
Old 06-26-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 monte
Then once all the usable parts were off the old one we proceeded to beat the living snot outta it.Jumps,doughnuts,burnouts you name it LOL.Motor was so tired(305 2bbl) that without the aircleaner it would blow a fireball out the carb so big it would roll up the windshield if you stepped on it.LOL Oil Fouled plugs every 4-5 days.LOL
Now thats what I'm talking about!!! a true beater that you can destroy and not feel like you ruined something nice!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Beaters

My DD is a hotrod beater and I love it, no rat rod though it does have some rust popping out again Camo painted 91 Jimmy with a 355, gets plenty of looks, not sure that they are looks of admiration though Step on the gas and ya go, get a dent or a scrape and it's a 20 minute fix in the driveway looking better than when it started. Love the camo colors, get a little rust popping through just take a grinder to it, hit it with a little epoxy, filler, sand smooth, prime and then pick the color to match. Can't tell what was painted last year or yesterday and blending is a breeze. Best part of all is no waxing flat paint!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	12936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	12937  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.