Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   beefing up engine stand (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/beefing-up-engine-stand-203711.html)

matt167 08-14-2011 04:11 PM

beefing up engine stand

I have a Harbor freight engine stand that was used once to hold a SBC 350 long block, and has been partially dissasembled ever since.. I was planning to put my 460 Ford on it, but after getting it out, realising it was the tri wheeled 1, I decided it wasn't safe, altho the 460 is only ( :D ) 640 lbs, it should be ok by 110lbs, I don't want 640 lbs of motor to tip over... I was thinking, if I welded on the "H" for the 2 front casters like the 1k lbs model, and a couple 'stringers' to support the upright, this should be good to a true 640 lbs big block right?

302 Z28 08-14-2011 07:39 PM

I think I would do just what your talking about, those three wheel engine dolly's make me cringe :pain: .

Vince

matt167 08-14-2011 08:08 PM

Yea, IIRC when the long block 350 was on it, it wasn't the sturdiest but was safe for the 2 hrs it was there. only on the stand to remove intake, oil filter adapter and water pump when my dad swapped engines in his '72 C10. really wasn't needed for his swap, but he thought we needed 1 for it... I'll go ahead and mod it/ pick up 2 new steel casters from TSC. I need it soon, and he'll more than likely need it for the 383 in his Charger when he gets the car repainted.. I'll post pics when I'm done. I think I have enough metal to do it all tomorrow.

bentwings 08-14-2011 11:11 PM

Yeah that's a good idea.

Go get a large cookie sheet and make a drip pan while you are at it.

327NUT 08-15-2011 02:13 AM

For my peace of mind I used 1/2" bolts and a 16" length of 3/8 X 1 1/2" flat stock as a diaganal brace. That way it can be unbolted if you want to store it. I also put a vertical 2 X 4 just long enough between the horizontal leg and the engine pan to take the "hanging" weight off of the bellhousing bolts if the complete engine is going to be stored on the stand for a short while. Yea I know its overkill but I don't have to worry about anything.

Irelands child 08-15-2011 06:34 AM

Yep Matt - they tip. I found that I could actually hold a 351W SB Ford from tipping over after it started. Couldn't straighten my back out for a week afterwards - but the engine never hit the ground.

Those mods are about what needs to be done - you but might consider a ride to Albany for the $60 HF 1000# heavy duty version instead of spending time on cobbling up the 750# light duty stand.

Dave W

302 Z28 08-15-2011 08:57 AM

I totally agree with Dave, the other HF stand is a much better investment in both time and money.

Vince

matt167 08-15-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child
Yep Matt - they tip. I found that I could actually hold a 351W SB Ford from tipping over after it started. Couldn't straighten my back out for a week afterwards - but the engine never hit the ground.

Those mods are about what needs to be done - you but might consider a ride to Albany for the $60 HF 1000# heavy duty version instead of spending time on cobbling up the 750# light duty stand.

Dave W

I was actually going to head out there yesterday to get it, but ended up having to do somthing else. I took invintory of what I have for steel, and I don't have enough stuff to do it, so it would be a trip out to Albany anyway for more steel as our local supplier closed up.. Might as well get the stand. Steel would probably cost $20-30, casters are probably $10 each from TSC

MARTINSR 08-15-2011 01:02 PM

I don't think you can beat just buying a new stand at HF. I have a four wheeled one that seems to be plenty. My three wheeled on had my Rambler motor on it and I would roll it out of my garage and back in over and over and over (WAY too many times) without a problem, even over the hump of the garage floor at the door. But I do have to say once I wasn't paying attention and it came up on two wheels a little! :pain: It scared the living crap out of me! Not only would that have busted a lot of stuff (possibly falling on my Gran Sport! I could likely have been busted up too!

Don't screw around with it, that I will tell you, take it seriously.

Brian

302 Z28 08-15-2011 01:08 PM

Even with the four wheel stand when I had my complete 350 crate engine on it I did not like the way the upright support flexed so I welded a 2x2 square tubing at an angle from the upright to the lower support. That stiffened it up pretty good.

Vince

matt167 08-16-2011 09:38 AM

Well, i went to the local Carquest, looked in the tool flier and found the HF 4 wheel stand, rebadged as a pro tools 750 lbs model for $79. I had them order it and it will be in tomorrow. $20 more expensive, but there less than 4 miles from my house.

Rambo_The_Dog 08-17-2011 11:26 PM

I bought one of these bad-boys a couple years ago on sale at NAPA.. 1000lb gear reduction turner...priceless.

https://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/40020.jpg

MARTINSR 08-17-2011 11:33 PM

Like my brother the mechanic always says "I never have said, damn I wish I would have bought the cheap tool". :D

You just can't beat spending a few more bucks. I know in my case if I had knocked that motor over it would have been a BIG problem that I could have bought TEN of those stands pictured.

Brian

JohnnyK81 08-17-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR

You just can't beat spending a few more bucks

Brian

OR, you bust out your favourite CAD software, run a little FEA, and figure out exactly where to weld a piece of steel or two, for the ultimate in strength! :D

jniolon 09-15-2011 06:04 AM

or you could do this

engine stand

later
John