Been awhile, Pontiac motor question for ya - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Been awhile, Pontiac motor question for ya

So I might be inheriting a 1974 Trans Am, completely original, owned by my uncle since it was new. He let it sit for a long time with hopes of fixing it with his son but due to his son having no interest in cars and my uncle going through a bad accident recently they might be sending it my way to see it get brought back to glory. I've got pretty much everything planned out for my build except deciding on the motor. I was thinking about rebuilding the 400 with a 461 stroker assembly, having Butler rework the factory 4X-7H heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, and camshaft selection is up in the air (maybe a custom grind). I'm thinking this motor in front of a TH400 with say a 3.42 gear would make a nice street/strip setup with a ton of usable torque. I don't have alot of experience with the Pontiac engines (aside from the old OHC's!) so your opinions would be appreciated. The main uses of the car would be weekend enjoyment, hitting the shows and trips to the local strip. I'd love to get the car into the low 12's on motor and I think this would be easily attainable while still being full weight and dressed up car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 03:55 PM

I think your on the right track with a stroker set up so go for it!

SD performance has a good off the shelf roller cam selection that will help you obtain your drag goals.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The cost for porting iron Pontiac heads only makes sense if the build is a restoration, IMO. The iron D-ports can be made to flow decent numbers, but stepping up to a set of aftermarket heads will be worth big power. I'd go as far as to say the 400 engine w/aftermarket heads will run right with a 461 w/stock iron heads. Put the AM heads on the stroker and forget about it! You'll want to buy stock in Goodyear.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice, I was just reading up on some of the head discussions and thought I could reach my goals with the stock heads so that is why i mentioned them. If I can attain a goal and save some $$$ on the way, I'm ok with that. I was looking at the Edelbrock castings the other day and have been keeping my eye on them. I've been debating if it would be worth throwing a nice 700R4 in it or just keeping the TH400, maybe rebuilt with the lower 1st/2nd gear and run a slightly lower rear ratio. The car will see highway trips with about 70mph speeds so that is something I am considering right now too.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:23 AM

Last photo:

Why use a 700r4 when the 200-4R will bolt directly to the back of the Pontiac with out an adapter, and the trans can be built to handle anything you can throw at it(just look at the Turbo Buick guys) The 200-4R has better spread between the ratios, the 700 has a huge drop from first to second.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 AM

74 Trans Am

I'm not a Pontiac guy but I don't think the Edelbrock RPM intake will fit under the hood, at least if you have the Shaker type hood. I could be wrong though. Sounds like a fun car-good luck!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 AM

The cost for porting iron Pontiac heads only makes sense if the build is a restoration, IMO.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondana
I'm not a Pontiac guy but I don't think the Edelbrock RPM intake will fit under the hood, at least if you have the Shaker type hood. I could be wrong though. Sounds like a fun car-good luck!
I have two Edelbrock Performer intakes on Pontiac engines under Firebird Formula hoods. The air cleaner hold-down nut has rubbed a hole through the yellow car's hood. The blue car's hood is almost rubbed through so I'm putting the stock cast iron manifold back on that one.

A friend has a high-rise single plane intake on a Trans Am. He couldn't/didn't want to deal with clearance issues so he bonded the scoop to the hood. Personally, I wouldn't do that but it worked for him.

There's not a lot of vertical clearance under a 2nd gen Firebird hood.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirZ
I'd love to get the car into the low 12's on motor and I think this would be easily attainable while still being full weight and dressed up car.
Friend of a friend has a similar build but with the Edelbrock aluminum heads - made it deep into the 11's.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-Fir...slip-5892.html
Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
Why use a 700r4 when the 200-4R will bolt directly to the back of the Pontiac with out an adapter, and the trans can be built to handle anything you can throw at it(just look at the Turbo Buick guys) The 200-4R has better spread between the ratios, the 700 has a huge drop from first to second.
Second that.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

4 speed! Or 5 speed with overdrive for hwy. Auto is boringgggg.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.