Before I break it - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 10:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Before I break it

How do I get the rear passenger window out of a 37 Ford two door. It moves back but wont go down.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You might want to post that question on the AACA Website. I'm sure someone there will know, tell them 4 Jaw sent ya!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:24 PM

Thanks I gave them a try.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:28 PM

Gave them a try...no luck.

Ya know whats more fun then Christmas? The UPS truck comming up the driveway with stuff for the ride.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:26 AM

Last photo:

I am working a '37 also. I have had your problem but I took out the regulator assembly and greased/oiled it too death and it works now is a bit tight but does work. I also broke several windows putting it back in. My guess is that if the crank goes but the window does not your off track. The regulator is a simple item and just has too work unless it rusted tight. You gotta get it out and see what is shaking.
A tip you gotta take the little stop out of the run track first [its a screw with a barrel fitting like a bearing on the front end of the rail] to allow the window regulator arms to release the track. There is only one position where they will come off the track and you can see it through the little site hole. Also if the track arms 'little end fittings' are buggered up they can cause you real fits. I had to rework mine could not find any replacements...except of course after market assemblies for a hundred. funny how all the little things you need cost at least a hundred. Might as well figure on buying new glass its rare to get it out without damage.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:31 AM

Last photo:

Of course you know you gotta take the seat out and the arm rest and maybe so some cutting on the lower inside wall but you can release the entire assemply by taking the 'I think eight' screws out then letting it drop to the floor you might work the whole thing out..if the glass comes free from the slide its easier to do.
Don't plan on saving the glass unless it comes free of the glass channel then maybe. Actually I am surprised at the glass cost it ain't a hundred.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:37 PM

All I can see with the window up, thru the site hole is a roller on the end of the regulater arm with a rivet thru it. I'm thinking I should drill out the rivet?????
Old 07-14-2003, 05:33 AM

Last photo:

You could get lucky and discover that one of the arms has slipped out of the channel and you only need to reinsert it into the channel but you still need to remove the 'stop' to allow the window to shift to a position of workability.
The function is like this. the way the window 'goes back' is due to a removable stop located in the window channel near the front of the car.. This stop must be removed or you cannot do anything. It may be a funny head but should not be a rivet its the first and last thing to go in and only a pop rivet would maybe fit here. Through the forward site hole you can see the window channel, its forward lowering arm and this stop. you must position the window such that this stop is nearly centered in the site hole. Then It will unscrew out. This allows the arms to go past the stop and increase their freedom of travel. But you want to go the other way such away from the stop [that has been removed] such that the arms are together in the center of the window channel. Use the crank to position the arms in the center of the window channel. This will also allow you to move the window a litttle in the window opening a fact that will be important later.
The window channel has a slot about half way back in its lower side and the two regulator arms must be removed/installed from the window channel at this point.. If one is off it will not function. There is only one position where you can look inside the aft hole and see this slot and these arms where they all meet at the same time. Try to pop the arms out of the channel at this slot juncture. At this time the window will become free and you want to have someone hold it in the up position while you lower the regulator arms with the crank. The window is now free and you must move it backwards and upwards tilting it at the rear raising it at the front at the same time you can wiggle it out.
I am assuming you got the window sill and uphostery out of the way. The regulator is held by 'I think' eight little screws remove them and push the crank shaft into the area between the 'walls'. The regulator will fall to the floor between the walls you can wiggle it out from the bottom or cut a little axcess to do so.
I am not aware of any drilling of parts unless of course there is rust or some reason to lock it up. The ends of the regulator arms are critical they must both be in the channel at the same spot on the channel to work. So if you reinstall make sure through the site hole they are meeting at the channel slot for smooth entry into the slot hence the window channel. Sometimes you can get it out without breaking the glass but it depends on how good
your window channel seals are if they are tight not worn you are doomed. But try anyway its worth it. Frequently the little regulator arms come off the window channel..I suspect thats your problem but they become distorted at their ends where there is a spring and special shaped washer that will cause binding and mechanical failure. Once the regulator is out you can easily see if it is broken...usually its the little 'arm ends' which no body seems to have. I put a torch too them and reshaped them..... try not to crack them and you might save them. Going in is also a bigger pain but basucally a reverse of the above. I usualy install the regulator and get the arm ends together in the site hole wiggle the window in and the channel slot over the arms for entry onto the track move the crank slightly as needed and have some one hold the window in the up position get the arms into the track move them slightly with the crank to insure good track mounting ,,,reinstall the little stop and your done. It is not an easy jon you just don't have enough hands and on a sixty-five year old item it likes to cut and bite. Hint the window goes back a couple inches and this is a benefit in wiggling it in and out I usually start by trying to get it in at the rear and slide it back to clear the front goes in at about a 30 degree angle 'rear down'.
Happy project
Wally
Old 07-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Wally......think I'll be owing you an adult beverage.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:37 AM

Last photo:

How about some status? Did you get it fixed? Any cuts or bruses? Did you save the glass?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:18 AM

Last photo:

I forgot to tell you...I made a tool to reach in and work the arms into the channel..Its just a piece of one inch steel strap about 1/8 inch in thickness. I bent both ends to form a "Z". its aboout four inches long. I rounded all corners to prevent any damage but it can be used to pull the arm ends onto the channel if your fingers are too short. I also used it to hold up the glass assembly when trying to work the arms it sorta hooks on the window sill and supports the glass as needed. I also bought a sucken cup item from a body fender supply. It can be of help in holding the glass it has a handle.
Wally
Old 07-17-2003, 09:31 PM

Broke the glass, ran out of bandaids, see what else I can destroy in the morn.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:12 AM

Last photo:

It gets easier but only in the 'hurt' department. Forgot to describe the 'tool' Shaped like a 'Z' about four to six inches long I folded the ends about 3/4 inch long and rounded the edges. It just fits in between the inner wall and the glass channel to keep it from dropping. one end on your finger or wall, one end on the channel if your careful. Also mine is still cracked from last removal/install. Suggest practice with broken unit to figure out method. Sorry it broke...but if its original it probably should have been replaced anyway. Talked to a guy that sold glass on the net with a good price but I got mine locally cause I wanted to have someone install it. On my other car I got it off the net and it worked okay but when I needed help there was no one.
My glass guy complained cause I did not have the new seals installed...they are about 150 a window so I was cutting corners...without the seals it allows the glass to be loose and it can be damaged. Their all in now but I still got a crack by forceing it 'in'. Getting ready to paint as soon as I can get the clear. Probably another couple week cause I am going to the NSRA and that takes at least a week.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:07 PM

Got the %&^$# out. Gonna work on wiring for a while, sick of looking at window.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Did you find out what was wrong?
I am just about done withe wireing need only to hook up tail-lites and inside liteing. Don't like the Haywire approach its too big and clumsy but I won it at a car show "My number got drawn for some give-aways" Trying also to get ready for paint almost there just need some more bucks. Also need to finish front floorboards got a problem with making a tranny cover.
Probably will not do much until I get back from Nationals. Although if I can get the clear to go with the color I already got I will only need the hardener......
Where do you call home? Don't see anything on your profile.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.