Begginer. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Begginer.

Hi all . I'm 15 and will be driving in 6 months, I also first got into cars at the annual Turkey Rod Run here in Daytona.. I alreadt have a car, a 97 Jeep Wrangler, but I love hot rods/ rat rods. I have a buddget of about $2000 dollar on a car. I was wondering what car should I look at that is fairly common to find and affordable. I dont want to buy a already customized one because I actually want to really work on this car. Also I have a basic amount of knowlege of cars. Should I still levn consider getting into hot rods etc.? Will I be laughed at if I need help or mess something up with my car?

P.S.
The type of car I REALLY like but dont know the name of is this?
IS this a Easy, Good Begginer Car?
http://www.streetrods-online.com/RAT...CF0041_JPG.jpg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hey there,
$2000 dollars isnt a whole lot if you want a "hot rod". Take a look in my gallery, I bought that truck when I was barely 17 for $1800. And it's stock, not really much of a hot rod. Dont limit yourself to the amount of money you have now. As time passes on money will come (or go?). You'll be able to get a job once you're 16 etc. A good beginner car for a hot rod or rat rod so to speak, are early 50's Chevies. '53-4 are reasonably cheap (allthough they're gaining price since everybody and their granma wants one ever since Jesse James built his 54). 4-doors are usually cheaper and can be made into a unique rod too. Plenty of parts availalbe for these cars, easy SBC conversion, easy to lower, relatively easy to chop (if you know what you're doing, they're no model T thats for sure) and there have been books written about them.

Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Last journal entry: Project "Black Sunshine" Started
Last photo:

Begginer

Dude the fastest way for me to get into hot rods wasn't with old cars. What I did was find an older car but not classic or antique at all and save up and build on it slowly. After a while you'll have a cool ride that was easy to find parts for and you can say I built this. And nothing is cooler than to say that you build your own ride to some hot chicks at car shows. And the only way you can learn to do anything is ask questions. And the best people to talk to are old guys that have been in the game for a while. No one will laugh if your trying to learn something. And if they do screw them and ask someone else. And hot rodding is a cool thing to get in to even if it isn't an old school ride. So carry on with your plans dude and don't let anyone deter you from it if its what you want to do.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:29 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

At least you have a driver now! fordboy has the right idea. Don't worry much about a hot rod right now with your limited budget. Just get something you like and can work on. I graduated in 1980, back then it was about a 20 year old car. It's the same now -- 20 years is where cars start becoming "antique" or "classic", but they aren't old enough to start gaining value. At least most aren't. They are bottoming out as far as the used car market goes though. A 16-24 year old car is usually just an olde worn car no one really wants that much, needs to much work to be a practical daily driver. Mid 80s to early 90s is a "sweet spot" for you. Not so many rear drive options in that area, but still a few, especially small trucks. Don't be afraid to hot rod that Jeep either -- is it a four or a six? If you like Jeeps 84-early 90s Cherokees are reasonably cheap now. It's not to tough to drop a small block in front of one, especially if it's two wheel drive. 2WD can be lowered reasonably easy, and a top chop on a two door would be cool. Keep your options open! Even a front wheel drive can be hot rodded some. Us older guys here need to remember that kids coming onto the scene now don't have the inexpensive raw material we did as kids. FWD cars were just coming onto the scene when we were growing up, now they are what you guys mostly have to work with. Of course a FWD car CAN be converted to rear drive, but that can be a lot of work.

Check out http://www.grmotorsports.com/news/ca...006-challenge/. The contestants are limited to $2006 to spend on building a competition car. Donated or "found" cars/parts are assigned a salvage value to make things fair. There are lots of ideas in previous year cars too.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

I was definitely "into" cars at 15. A lot of things have changed since I was your age, however. I was in Iowa, where they issued a "school" permit, allowing 15 year olds to drive from home to school and back. Envious? Well, I'm going to make it even worse! This was at a time when "skipping" grades was actually encouraged. So, I skipped the last two years of high school, (I had already skipped first grade), and was a student at the State U. of Iowa at fifteen. If you're familiar with Iowa geography, you know Iowa City is almost at its eastern border. My parents, however, lived in the southwestern corner of the state. So, for me, "school to home" was a drive over almost the whole state of Iowa. I only made that drive on the occasional weekend, but I regularly drove from the dorm to my classes. (In the early fifties, you could actually drive from class to class, avoiding a walk across campus. Present SUI students would find that difficult to comprehend.) So, if you look forward to the driving experience, I think you might agree that you were born 60 years too late.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:57 AM

Last photo:

Beginner

One idea would be to start with a 78-88 GM G body,lots of them around,fairly easy to work on and modify,GM still carries some parts,the aftermarket has lots ,and the price might be within your reach.Start off with an easy project and hopefully you wont get too frustrated.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

begginer

I agree with Guy, a 70"s to 80's Monte Carlo, Cutlass, or Buick, etc is the way to go on a limited budget. You can put a small block Chev in any of these cars easily. I got a 79 Cutlass for $100.00. Turned out it had a 455 engine. I sold the body and kept the frame, engine, trans, tilt, pwr brakes steering column, and all the wire harness etc. Then I put my 53 chevy truck cab and front clip etc on the frame. You can see some pics of this truck here
http://community.webshots.com/user/niteowl01244
Look in the lowrider album.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

Im in the same boat you are in right now with the excpetion of two things:One I have a job, two I have a car. But we are the same $$$ wise, my advise to myself and to you is to keep savin your money until you turn 16 and then when you get a summer job save $$$ till the end of summer then look at your options. That way you have all fall and winter to work on it so it may be ready for the next summer. I have one bit of advise, dont get frustrated. When I work on my elky I get real frustrated sometimes, take a break then go back to it. Always stay with it, dont give up. BTW I turn 16 on may 18!
Old 04-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Gotta love the classics

Last photo:

Almost forgot, always check swap meets, and the for sale areas of car shows. Usually you can find projects for a better price than you can on ebay and other online places, plus you can get a good look at them. Oh, and haggle ALOT, pays off in the end. Good Luck.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

hi there i was doing the same exact thins as you are.when i was 14 ,my uncle gave me a ride in his 69 chevelle, i was hooked instantly. so i searced for about a year, i finley found it a 70 chevelle. had to go all the way to geogiato get from a junk yard , no motor or trans.i only had 1500 $ sure enough thats wat he wanted for it.so i got it . a year later got going and painted. i worked in a body shop . so i did all the work myself only cost 700 for paint. then i worked for a custom electric place for cars. learned how to do my hole car wiring and some custom stuff. so if i were you i would start looking now for a car and go ahead and buy it. cause it might take longer than you think. but good luck to ya.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:06 PM
408 Stroker

Last photo:

Very good advice here. Main thing is be patient, just save your money and slowly build up the rod you want. Heck I didnt get to really start building my car till I was almost 30 years old so you have plenty of time for this.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Patience is the name of the game........buy something to drive now and then save your money to get something to build. That way you will not be in a hurry on the one you are building. Work slow, do it right, plan. save and keep on building untill ya got it like you want it.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:10 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I think that Chevy fleetline would be an excellant palce to start. But it is actually one of the hardest cars to chop (and have look right). The shoebox cars are popular and easy to find and find parts for. And FWIW, not many of the early post war Chevys are actually Fleetlines, They also had a standard couple and a business coupe. And I think in 51 or 52 the Belair 2 door hardtop came along. Personally I wouldn't put a lot of time and money into a 4 door. If you can find one reasonably priced that is a driver it might be ok. Just remember it takes just as much money to fix them up as a 2 door and they are worth considerably less and are harder to move if you get tired of it and want to move on.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.