begining auto technician - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

begining auto technician

Im almost graduated from technical school right now and before I get reamed from the snap on guy Im about to get a loan for them and Im trying to figure out what tools I need as an entry level technician,without ase certs.
any help would be appreciated Im currently interested in there ethos scan tool but need help on the tools that I will use often
by the way my name is Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

First, I would hold-off on buying ANYTHING until you find a job, the job will tell you what you will need better than anyone on the net.

Second, buying tools on credit is *2X* the retail price, VERY EXPENSIVE and it's AFTER TAXES take-home pay. Be very careful about running up the bill, the 'kid in a candy store' routine doesn't workout too well.

Tool credit will do NOTHING positive for your credit rating BUT can definitely be a big negative strike if you default and NO tool company is bashful about collecting.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

What are you using in tech school for tools? That should give you an idea of what a basic set of tools might comprise.

Deadbodyman is dead on. Get a job. Don't obamaize your future by jumping into deep debt.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Last photo:

Be wary of the Snap On guy, he will let you put your life and your future family in hock up to your eyeballs. I worked with guys who literally turned over their paychecks to the Snap On tool man. Later when they got married they could not afford a decent house to live in. Some sold their Snap On tools for more affordable tools. If you must finance your tools arrange for financing at a credit union or bank. That way the Snap On guys hands will not be around your neck and the interest you pay will be more reasonable.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 01-14-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Having had a Snap-On account longer than most Snap-On Dealers have been breathing, I can heartily agree with the above. I could have paid cash for a pretty nice house with what I've spent on tools over the years,
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM

I do work a fulltime job now in part as an assistant manager so I can afford the loan but I need the tool set so I can get hired at a shop most shops i apply for wont hire me without it so Im at a loss on the tools I might need I also get 50% off snap on retail price till I graduate
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I agree with all the above. When you bought your first car was it a rolls royce? No.
So why by the most expensive tools on the market. Youe patying xrtra for a name. I know snap on makes fantastic tools amnd I would like to afforf them.
I have used craftsman tools all my life and although not an auto mechanic I was an elevator mechanic and we all used craftsman. I am sure there are lots a of instances where u will that one special snap on tool for a certain job, then buy it. When you get into your job more and can afford a snap on set go for it.BTW there are always used snapon sets for sale because someone doesn't mneed them anymore and you could save big. JMHO, Bob
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff

Last photo:

I would look into the craftsman tools as you can buy these in many different sets, they also carry a set that will give you most everything that you need and it will not cost you your life's savings. I have used craftsman tools from the begining with very few failures, and I can get them replaced without waiting on the snap-on guy to come buy and then he will most of the time not have the replacement and have to order it,another week or so before you get it replaced! Craftsman are lifetime warranty and any sears will have them,and they are much cheaper to buy. Thats just my opinion and many will buy nothing but snap-on but I could never justify the cost when my craftsman tools will do the same job!

Ray
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
GROUND POUNDER

Last photo:

hahah, the good ole snap on guy. He accepts souls, arms, and legs!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM

If you get 50% off, that's a HUGE discount, many of the Snap-On tools I bought when I was starting out still work like new, and the ones that don't have been replaced for free, pretty much the same for any good tool brand though. Time to do some pricing on tool sets I'd say.....
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

"If you get 50% off, that's a HUGE discount, many of the Snap-On tools I bought when I was starting out still work like new, and the ones that don't have been replaced for free, pretty much the same for any good tool brand though. Time to do some pricing on tool sets I'd say....."

BINGO, nothing at all against Snap-on, great tools and they do last forever BUT you really should check things out on-line. All of the tool companies have 'starter sets' for combined savings AND you should check out the interest rates available to you.

Google is your friend: Snap-on, Matco, Mactools, Sears, Harborfreight, Summitracing, Autobodytoolmart, Toolsusa, Tooltopia, ect. Lots of outfits out there.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 PM

As a professional tech, I would kinda stick to tools you can get warranteed or replace relatively locally, unless you can afford to buy doubles of the commonly broken or lost stuff, or the tools you can't afford to be without for any length of time.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 PM

im not against getting craftsmen for the tool sets and automtive specialty sets but it is hard to compete with thier pro scan tools like the verus and modis. I figure most shops will start me as a apprentice so i figure i wont be doing everything yet but would like to get an ideas on what tools are important im not dead set on snap on.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Last photo:

Moderators note:

There are numerous Snap-On vs who ever threads, just do a search:

I dont think the young man who started this thread intends for to become a Craftsman vs Snap-On ramble. So lets keep it on subject or I will edit out the off subject replies.

Vince
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff

Last photo:

I agree that we have wondered off topic.
What you need is a basic set of tools, you will want a good mixture of metric and standard tools. This will include sockets and wrenches, also a good set of screwdrivers ;assorted, and a few hammers in different styles, and most important torque wrench. You may also like a few air tools such as ratchets and impact wrench. Again name is not important as long as you do a basic set you can add to this as needed, most shops invest in the high end diagnostics and have them on hand for your use.
Good luck and go with a good assortment of basic tools and build on that as you need them!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.