Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - beginner compressor / blasting question
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

beginner compressor / blasting question

hey guys, nice forum

i am looking to set myself up a very very cheap diy ghetto blaster for stripping old motorcycle fairings - abs plastic - for the purposes of bedliner repaints. i flip bikes for a living and many of them i repaint them with duplicolor spray can bedliner. while i have found this stuff is relatively **** for use as bedliner, its near indestructable when sprayed on to other stuff properly.

i want to buy everything second hand, cheap

my questions are pretty simple. whats a decent cheap gun to get, or does it matter since this is not a commercial and not a precision application?

what sort of hose should i use for the diy gravity fed system i am going to make - 5 gallon bucket + funnel ftw

what grit sand should i use since the more abrasion the parts have the better the spray on liner works, but i also need to get into fairly tight little corners and curves?

what psi would you guys recommend running it at, and what cfm/size should my compressor be for doing this non stop?

i have a crap older compressor with a leak, that is apparently full of water, and am emglo that is supposed to work, and a bunch of spare motors and parts. ill trade it all for something newer, emglo is large.

is there ANY way to avoid condensation on larger compressors? like will a newer one be much better than an older, or do i just have to run a filter and long line? point me in the right direction

i have about 5 sets of fairings and bunch of tanks.....so you get the idea.