Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - This beginner finds B/C easier than SS
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 08:26 AM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This beginner finds B/C easier than SS

I finished restoring my Chevy truck this summer, painted it at home with single stage PPG Concept [picts in my gallery]. It was my first paint job. After cut & buff I am happy with it. This week I sprayed the body parts for a BMW motorcycle for a friend in base clear. The owner wanted a black pearl. I found a nice GM color that came in b/c.

In my reading here, I have read a few comments that beginners may have trouble getting SS to shoot flat, which I certainly did, and that b/c despite the extra step is likely easier for the non-skilled hobbyist. Well now that I have shot both I couldn't agree more.

Before I shot b/c I was worried about getting the clear to lay out nicely, but I think it is actually easier to get a nice finish with clear than the SS. I was surprised how much clear I could lay out without runs. It seemed like with SS there is a much finer line between the right amount and runs. On these bike parts my base is PPG DBC and I used DCU2002 clear.

First pict is base only, last two are after clear. I plan on cutting and buffing the tank, but the other 13 parts [yea, 14 pieces on one bike], can go out as sprayed!

Anyway, hanging out in this forum has helped me incredibly, and seeing clear on top of black pearl just made me want to post !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k75 010.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	24041   Click image for larger version

Name:	k75 014.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	24042   Click image for larger version

Name:	k75 016.jpg
Views:	123