Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Beginner with new cam,heads,intake install
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 12:54 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Like learning anything you need to be taught. Reading it from a book can work. I would personaly find someone who knows what they are doing to show you first time. Cam break in procedure is very important, as well as head torque, and valve setting. Any mistakes in these areas will cause you time and expense.

Things can go wrong with the most experienced builders. A friend who has built hundreds of motors and myself who has built my fair share, just built a motor for one of my cars. This motor has 1700 dollars in machining, new pistons, rods, cam, bearings, rings, heads, intake, distributor, carb, and tin. After 20 miles it started losing power and overheating. I disassembled it and everything is chewed up. We are now going through the process of figuring out what went first. Everything is starting to point to the new Edelbrock head on the passenger side. Only the cam lobes on the passenger side are wiped out. We will disassemble it tomorrow and check the specs.

Last edited by bracketeer; 08-17-2005 at 01:18 AM.