Hot Rod Forum banner

Believe I need to upgrade my Converter

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Greg T 
#1 ·
This is for my 388 in my 96 C1500 shorty. About 500+ HP and torque. I currently have a jegs 10" 3k stall converter in there, but since the motor upgrades the converter seems a bit sloppy when matting the fun pedal on the street. Since I'm retired (read; poor) I was thinking of THIS piece. (9.5" PATC) Anyone know anything about them?

Was thinking of the same 3k stall speed and choosing less than 650 hp in the drop menu.

#3 ·
Yup, helps a lot. I'm not that versed on converters and trannys, but I know that after my engine upgrades, my Jegs converter went from a 3k stall to about a 42 TO 4400 STALL. Won't even pull well on the dyno. I've looked at TCI, B&M, and all the other "big" names but they all seem so generic when it comes to application. I don't know if makes a difference, but at least the PATC asks about horse power, etc before you order. That would indicate to me that they calibrate them differently, somehow.

#4 ·
Give FreakShow Converters a call and ask about torque ratings, anti-ballooning plates, price, and efficiency... there's more to converters than just stall RPMs, although that's about all you get in the $99 ones: slippage...

Your old converter may have ballooned from your new power and the turbines are too far apart now...

#5 ·
That's exactly what happened. I remember romping thru the gears and shortly after hitting third gear it bit traction but didn't feel right. Now it stalls at 4400. Runs okay lightly around town, but shows up ugly on the dyno. I'm blowing right thru it now.

#7 ·
I've read a lot of reviews on Freak Show and most of the complaints are about being too loose. I'm going to talk to him and ask about the efficiency. I need the flash to get up on my cam, but I don't run around town with it slipping to 2500 either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.