Bellhousing bolt pattern - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Bellhousing bolt pattern

I`m planning on mating a Toyota R154 manual transmission to my 350 chevy.
I can make up the adapter plate ok and deal with the clutch set-up.
I`m looking for a bellhousing to adapt. Does the SBC share it`s bellhousing mounting bolt pattern with any other engines? Or do I have to stick with a GM unit?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

sbc to japbox.

4,6 & 8 cyl Chevs have a unique bolt pattern. Check out Castlemaine rod shop & Dellow automotive here in Australia as they have both been making V8 to jap 2 or 4wd trans adapters and bellhousings for over 30 years.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Stick with the Chevy V8 bellhousing. They are cheap and everywhere in the world!

Greg
Old 08-19-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRiordan
4,6 & 8 cyl Chevs have a unique bolt pattern. Check out Castlemaine rod shop & Dellow automotive here in Australia as they have both been making V8 to jap 2 or 4wd trans adapters and bellhousings for over 30 years.
Thanks for the reply Ian
I`ve sent emails to Castlemaine and Dellow for details/prices, but I`m also looking at doing the conversion my self with an adaptor plate and chevy bellhousing.
Do you know if the Holden V8`s share the same bolt pattern as the small block chevy? They are both GM blocks, aren`t they?

Thanks Paul
Old 08-19-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg55_99
Stick with the Chevy V8 bellhousing. They are cheap and everywhere in the world!

Greg
Greg
Do you know any useful casting numbers to look for?
I need the clutch fork at around the 9 o`clock position. It has to be aluminium and needs to be around 6"-61/2" length face to face.
Any idea why there is such a huge price difference between different casting numbers? For example, 3899621 seem to go for anything up to and over $200 on ebay?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Maybe a different way to skin that cat......... ? ?

Some of the Toyota Land Cruisers used a 6 cylinder bolt pattern engine.......matched to a Toyota transmission.

That bellhousing WOULD BOLT to the 350 Chevrolet........but I do not know about the Toyota R154 transmission.....

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-19-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

Maybe a different way to skin that cat......... ? ?

Some of the Toyota Land Cruisers used a 6 cylinder bolt pattern engine.......matched to a Toyota transmission.

That bellhousing WOULD BOLT to the 350 Chevrolet........but I do not know about the Toyota R154 transmission.....
Deuce

Thanks for that.
I posted on here about 18months ago about this transmission/engine set up when I started my build and it appears there is a way of doing it with a Dodge or Jeep bellhousing, but involved buying an adapter plate for around $300.
That`s why I decided to use a chevy bellhousing and make my own adapter plate. I`m just trying to find out which bellhousing to look out for. We don`t have any american car scrap yards over here where I could go climbing around cars with a tape measure.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The "621" bellhousing is for an 11" clutch and has some muscle car history to it.

Dumb me, way back when my son and I were restifying the '67, I picked up 2-3 bellhousings that have been vegetating in my barn. For grins, I checked the numbers and two were 621s!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 AM

Last photo:

Dutch rock crawler.

Just got home after a 100k round trip to drop off old tractor parts. Pre twin cam petrol Land cruisers used a poor copy of the Blue flame Chev with a DIFFERENT bellhousing bolt pattern. Looking at the photo it could come close to a t19 spicer bellhousing - anyone tried this? To put a Chev in a manual j10/20 Jeep here we used a Dellow(9 o'clock fork) Chev to Ford top loader bellhousing and re-drilled & tapped one hole. Note the ofset g/box mounting tab and remember, jap's copy EVERYTHING.Also some Jeep cj's had the Pontiac 2.5L four in front of a T5. My hillbilly cousin had one and bolted in a sbc with a 168 tooth flywheel and homemade engine mounts. Try England for Jeep parts, the rust should have got them by now.

Last edited by IanRiordan; 08-20-2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:38 AM

Last photo:

Middle age memory.

It's been 15 years since I paid my mortgage with engine swaps. All coming back now. 5.0l Holden(th350/400 only) from 74 to 82 had a Chev pattern, all manuals and tri-matics(local autos) had their own pattern. No help here, I'm confident that Dellow can help you and may work out cheaper than adapting to 2nd hand parts. Another thing I found in my street racing days - if your thin Chev throw out bearing won't disengage and a thick Holden one makes the clutch slip, try an early 70s M/benz one and relieve the fork. Worked like a charm and had little air gap so I didn't stretch many valves!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.